The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

broitblat

This is M3 Mokume Gane (or "Mockume"). The real Mokume Gane was developed for sword-making (I think mostly decoration).

1_Mockume.jpg

It seems most of the other pictures I've seen of this material show a much more dramatic contrast between the two metals. I don't know if there is something wrong with my finishing process or it's just variation from blank to blank.

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Nice pen, well done.

As to mokume gane, the decoration was a "side benefit" of the process of making the steel sword in the form that greatly added to its strength. The Steel was heated and pounded length wise, doubled over, heated again, pounded, and so on - until it was many layers were built up. When formed into its final shape and ground down to a point, the layers revealed themselves in a manner that looked like the wood grain of a curly wood such as tamo/ Japanese ash. A picture here:http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/tamo.php.

That is why it is called wood grained steel.
mokume = curly (wood) grain
gane = steel

Last edited:

akbar24601

That is very fascinating Hank!!! Thank you for sharing the insight, it all makes a little more sense now. Still might take us a bit to get the pronunciation right though! LOL I do like those M3 blanks, they are definitely on my future shopping list.

Russianwolf

yeah, what Hank is referring to is the folding of metal. Do a little math, if you fold a piece of steel 13 times, how many layers do you get.

Then remember that some of the great Swordmakers folded the steel more than the equivalent of 22 times in an individual sword.

When you take two contrasting metals and fold them, you get a much more apparent wood grained pattern.

hint: steel folded 13 time will have 8192 layers. Now when that blade is about a 1/4 inch thick, each layer is pretty dang thin. Folded 22 times yield over 4 million layers.

Very nice pen by the way.:wink:

talbot

Lovely looking pen Barry, I like the shape a lot.
Is that stuff easy to turn? Ive looked often at the website and have been tempted many times.
regards, Bill

scotian12

Hi Barry...I too would like to know why there is no "grain"showing. I have looked at these blanks on many occasions and they are very attractive. Perhaps someone who has turned these blanks could offer their opinion on why the grain is not more pronounced. Thanks Darrell

jskeen

Nice job on that pen. The finish looks perfect to me, and if you actually click on the thumbnail, and then expand the pic from your album, the grain is apparent in the larger picture. I'm sure that there is some variation from batch to batch, and probably from piece to piece within a batch, and it looks like you just got a blank with thinner layers than usual. The actual difference in color between the two is consistent with what I have seen in that specific metal combination blank before.

As far as true mokume gane, Hank is on the right path, but not quite there. The process he refers to of forge welded and folded steel is indeed believed to have first been developed for the manufacture of swords, and was developed in many different areas of the globe at about the same historical timeframe. The Japanese craft of Nihon-To, or swordmaking is one of the best known, but the art is known to have been developed in the middle east, Scandinavia, and middle Europe in roughly the same period. Interestingly, the process of true "Damascus steel" is not actually forge welding, rather a process of casting molten steel under very specific conditions.

Mokume Gane, is a combination of non ferrous (often precious) metals fused at much lower temperatures then worked to produce the "grain". It was developed in japan by a master swordsmith, but only for making decorative hardware for the sword, not the blade itself.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but these terms are getting tossed around here more frequently lately, and I thought a little definition might be a good thing. Of course these things were not presented to me by a voice from a burning bush or anything, and I welcome correction or discussion :)

broitblat

Lovely looking pen Barry, I like the shape a lot.
Is that stuff easy to turn? Ive looked often at the website and have been tempted many times.
regards, Bill

Thanks, Bill.

This stuff isn't particularly difficult to turn, but it is hard to turn :)

By that I mean the material is hard on the tools and dulls them quickly. This is the second M3 blank I've turned. On the first one, I used standard HSS tools and had to sharpen several times during the process. On this one I used a cheap carbide tipped tool and it went much more quickly. Finish sanding still takes a bit more time, however.

-Barry

Top Bottom