The pen is mightier than the pipe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DaveO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

Or at least the desire to turn a pen is. I had several pipe briar (root burl of the White Heath plant) plateaux pieces that I had all intentions of making into tobacco pipes. But I looked at them today and thought that they would make a good pen. I think it turned out nicely. PSI satin nickle slimline with CA finish

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20Pens%20223.jpg

flipped, same pen

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20Pens%20219.jpg

They are resting on the raw stock, I think it make a nice support and may use it for other photography.
Critiques welcome, please.

Dave:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I've been thinking about getting some of that stuff for pens. Very nice looking wood. Nice pens too. Is there a lot of waste making pen from the pieces?

DaveO

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I've been thinking about getting some of that stuff for pens. Very nice looking wood. Nice pens too. Is there a lot of waste making pen from the pieces?

I was able to get two blanks out of the one plateaux, and it is resting on the "waste". It really turns well, and if you get plateauxs they are very solid because they are the the top selections, the rest get cut into ebauchons that remove any bad material but result in smaller pieces (prolly not ususable for pen blanks).
Dave[:)]

DaveO

Pipes, I was hoping that you would see this post. I know that you can appreciate the material.
Thanks for the comments y'all[:D]

Dave[:)]

LEAP

Sweet, thats a beautiful pen, love the richness of the wood. I got a piece of briar in an EBAY lot that took a little creative cutting to get a pen out of and its turned into "my" pen. It was about the 9-10th pen I turned and the first one I was really happy with. I've been looking for more ever since.
Phil

DaveO

Originally posted by johncrane
<br />Nice one DAVE! your finish and photos are excellent.[:D]

Thank-you very much. My wife would be very happy to hear that, at least the photo part, as she got me a photo booth for Christmas, it has made a huge improvement in the quality of my pictures.
Thanks, Dave[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom