Pen made with Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jaeger

jaeger

image-772067060.jpg

This a Patrizio made with African Wonder Stone.
I used Bocote on the bottom because I thought the lower end was to narrow to keep the Stone from cracking.
I am giving this pen to the Artist that gave me the stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
That is not easy sir!!! I did a .30cal in soapstone last year for a client...not sure I'd do that again. Beautiful job!!

Last edited:

jaeger

Thank you for the nice comments!
The Artist was excited when I showed him the pen today. He was REALLY excited when I told him I was giving him the pen!
The stone is kind of hard to come by is my understanding. For me it was easy. I gave him some nice antler tips and he gave me the stone!
The stone is not brittle or really very hard.
I needed a 7 mm hole so I used a 17/34 bit which is slightly smaller, and just kind of reamed it a tad oversize. I than used epoxy for adhesive and also hand filed the inside tube at the top for the cap so I would not blow out this end when I pressed on the cap.
I was going to sand the blank corner edges off but after working with this material I went directly to my pen mill and then to the scraper. Once I got close to the bushings I went to sandpaper. Everything was going well but it didn't like my skew and I didn't want to push my luck.
I didn't 't want to use CA on this stone especially since it was going to a sculptor. I'm sure he wanted to feel the stone.
I am enclosing a photo of the remaining stone and the main tool I use and HIGHLY recommend.
I use this tool for 98% of my lathe work.

image-1505042376.jpg

Y'know, the Patrizio is not my favorite pen, but that is one bodacious good looking unit!. I agree that the bocote with the stone is nice. Also agree the stone is best without a finish (unusual comment for me). Would also like to see the same pen in 100% stone.

jaeger

Y'know, the Patrizio is not my favorite pen, but that is one bodacious good looking unit!. I agree that the bocote with the stone is nice. Also agree the stone is best without a finish (unusual comment for me). Would also like to see the same pen in 100% stone.

Ted,
I have something in mind that I want to try next.
I'll try to get it done this week.
I'll let you know.

Top Bottom