Pen and jewelry box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AlanZ

AlanZ

Today I tried an Easy Rougher Ci1 carbide chisel on an acrylic pen blank.

I was stunned at how well it handled, and how smooth the results were. I went straight from the Ci1 to Micromesh finishing.

The black and blue acrylic would show any flaws... and I see the Ci1 as my new go-to tool for acrylics.

It's shown here with a little zebrawood/walnut bandsaw box.

robin-pen-box.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

They are certainly a phenomenal tool, off-course the insert quality has a lot to do it it but, in general they are exceptional to work with with any material and I mean any...! I've got the Ci1 the Ci2 and the Magnum with the 17mm square inserts on a 16mm square shaft, man that cuts some timbers, I tell you...:eek::wink:

Most if not all tools made in our days with carbide inserts, are the tools of the future for sure. Sharpening skills may the lost over time, but at the moment, that skill is out into practice when one decided to sharpen those carbide bits. Some will break or chip, making sharpening nearly impossible (no enough metal left) but the re-sharpen a square insert, a great deal of experience is need not talking about re-sharping the round inserts. I don't thing that is economical to spend the time and get things done to successfully sharpen these type cutters, the manufacturer doesn't recommend it and with the prices and availability these things have already, does really not pay to play with them but replace them with new, instead.:wink:

Cheers
George

AlanZ

If you look closely at the reflection, you can see the top of the pen. The bottom of the pen's reflection blends into the box's reflection.

AlanZ

It's amazing what one can do with a little dab of wax <s>

In a previous life, I was a commercial photographer. I used to explain that I spent most of my working day trying to get things to stand up that didn't want to do it on their own. Each morning, we came in to see what had fallen down during the night.

Top Bottom