Pen For Hope #7. I bled on this one!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

296229_218482141545192_100001502242963_581771_957687262_n.jpg

306881_218482181545188_100001502242963_581772_196078590_n.jpg

Pen For Hope #7. I bled on this one! Seriously, the transmission had some issues and had to be traded out. While setting up my trusty leather grip and clamp, I got everything ready, and then my thumb got caught between the hammer and the end of the bad transmission. I was pretty in the zone, and didn't notice until I checked the nib and found a pretty big glob of drying blood on it. Anyhow, that was probably too much information. This is a blank donated by Bobalu, if I'm not mistaken. That was a great blank, I wish I had a few more. The insert is plexiglass on top of aluminum. I'm not sure how well both materials show. I kinda think the insert isn't pulling much weight. Just my own opinion, but it doesn't seem to add much or take away much. I'll probably give it another shot soon and see if setting it lower on the barrel helps any.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

You did a really nice job on that one Allen. You may have gotten it from me, but I can't take credit for the blank. That was one that I bought from someone here on IAP quite some time ago. I never turned it because it didn't look like it had much potential. You sure proved me to be wrong on that one.

Drstrangefart

You did a really nice job on that one Allen. You may have gotten it from me, but I can't take credit for the blank. That was one that I bought from someone here on IAP quite some time ago. I never turned it because it didn't look like it had much potential. You sure proved me to be wrong on that one.

I spent a WHILE staring at it when I wasn't staring at the Brooks blank I won in the drawing at the end.

DozerMite

Banned
A couple things...

The accent doesn't match well to the gold hardware. Maybe brass instead of alum. next time?
Also, now that you are getting a better fit to the hardware, you should spend a little more time on the finish. Scratches are very detracting. It isn't about quantity, but more about quality. Pull your finish together and you could have some real winners.:wink:

Drstrangefart

A couple things...

The accent doesn't match well to the gold hardware. Maybe brass instead of alum. next time?
Also, now that you are getting a better fit to the hardware, you should spend a little more time on the finish. Scratches are very detracting. It isn't about quantity, but more about quality. Pull your finish together and you could have some real winners.:wink:

I try to get the finish as clean as I can. I use the whole range of MicroMesh and cross-polish on all of them. I also sand everything smooth and give it a shot or two of thin CA before the polishing starts. I finish with Tripoli polish on terrycloth. Not sure what else to do on my lack of budget. And the aluminum is defintely not the best match to the kit. Once the barrels were finished, I figured the gold would match up better to the rest of the pen than chrome would have.

DozerMite

Banned
Tripoli is more coarse than the MM and you are probably still using the Tripoli on the lathe, correct? That creates and magnifies the scratches.

Go to a big box store and get an arbour and a couple buff wheels, they are not great quality, but will get you started and show you an improvement. Mount on your lathe and buff the length of the barrel. Should improve your finish and get you looking good.:wink:

Drstrangefart

Tripoli is more coarse than the MM and you are probably still using the Tripoli on the lathe, correct? That creates and magnifies the scratches.

Go to a big box store and get an arbour and a couple buff wheels, they are not great quality, but will get you started and show you an improvement. Mount on your lathe and buff the length of the barrel. Should improve your finish and get you looking good.:wink:

So, I should at the very least ditch the Tripoli, then? Buffing wheels are definitely a future luxury.

kenspens

i use white diamond buff as my last finish technique and it has worked well i bought the beal buffing system i use it on my lathe!! it works awesome!!!
ken

DozerMite

Banned
i use white diamond buff as my last finish technique and it has worked well i bought the beal buffing system i use it on my lathe!! it works awesome!!!
ken

I get to use one of those whenever I turn pens at Dad's place. It's great.

Waste of money IMO. Plus having to put in on the lathe and removing it to turn would be a pain. For what one costs, you could get... a dedicated buff motor, two quality wheels, and some quality compound and still have change left over.:wink:

Gary Beasley

ken

I get to use one of those whenever I turn pens at Dad's place. It's great.

Waste of money IMO. Plus having to put in on the lathe and removing it to turn would be a pain. For what one costs, you could get... a dedicated buff motor, two quality wheels, and some quality compound and still have change left over.:wink:

Since I have an extra lathe thats not really a problem.....

Top Bottom