Pen Holders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

Here are a few more pen holders that are derived from ideas shared by IAP members. All wood used for the pen bases is cherry and finished with a Watco tung oil(cherry). A deep gold enamel was used to accentuate the pen grooves. This allowed me to cheat on some of the burn marks left behind by the router bit. The final surface was finished with a BLO finish to give it a satin glow. The cherry(2) boxes can be used to store paper clips, loose change and any other small item(s) that clutters the surface of a fine desk. The next set that I make, I will enlarge the 'planter' style boxes and make them suitable to hold ink bottles for an appropriate FP. Comments/suggestions for improvements are always welcomed.
-Peter-:)
200676214946_penholder1.jpg

200676215019_penholder2.jpg

200676215059_penholder3.jpg

200676215117_penholder.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />Is the clock embedded in the set?

Yes, I carved the outline of the clock and is a nice tight fit right into the wood. The clock easily removes when it's time to change the battery.

Janet, please 'copy' 'borrow' ideas at will. It's all part of the sharing here.

Anthony, no soccer ball in the 'box' but I can store a hockey puck in there. Go Leafs Go.

-Peter-[:)]

GBusardo

Hi Peter, I have a few suggestions for you. Looking at the picture, I am guessing that the boxes are about 2x2x2? Things dropped into them may be hard to get out. You might want to put a 2x2 on the lathe and turn out the middle. It will be easier to build also and you can still make a square lid to fit. If you want to build a box for whatever reason, you might want to concider using mitre cuts and running the grain all the way around the box. With your design, the endgrain is up top, might not be a good idea. I would also suggest you take light cuts with the router to minimize the burning. I am not crazy about the gold enamel, it takes away from the beauty of the wood and your pen. As you probably know, cherry can be a horror show to finish. It burns easy and splotches like crazy. You might want to experiment with a poly, shellac or just wax. Having made all kinds of small boxes for a bazillion years, I know your challenges. Your pens are awesome, building holders equally as awesome will be quite a challenge, I know this all too well! Are you planning on selling these? I hope I don't sound like I am bashing your work, it's not my intent at all!!
Gary

wood-of-1kind

Gary, thanks for the suggestions. No offense taken whatsoever, I'm actually encouraged by your comments to improve on my next build projects.
Thanks again.
-Peter-[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom