Pen in the hat pens, sent and received

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

John asked me to post the picture of the pen I made him. I figured I'd also show the pen that Bud made me. Bud wanted to make me a pen from a wood I don't sell and he pulled that off quite well. The pen fits my hand perfectly and is wonderful to write with. I especially like the fact that the dark spots are where the thorns came out of the wood. What a cool pen.

The first pen is the one I made for John, which is manzanita burl. The 2nd pen is greasewood, with a CB of some sort of wood that is native to the USA, and is called mahogany. Bud also sent me some wood to make my own pens, some of which is sage brush stalk, which looks really interesting (something like banksiawood). I am very grateful and love it all.

Manzanita by Big Rob for John "Deere41h
20062272325_DSCN2115.jpg

Greasewood by Bud Duffy for Big Rob
200622723529_greasewood%20pen%20in%20hat.jpg

For those who are waiting for my burl special, manzanita will be in it. I am awaiting stabilizing results of my test.
Thanks for looking.
Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Jim and George,
Thanks, but I can only claim credit for the red one. Manzanita is interesting, because two sides will show birdseye, but the two other sides show the tubes that the birdseyes form, which look like curl. I just love it, but you have to go through a lot of cracked wood to get a good pen blank. I'm not yet proficient with filling gaps.
Rob

punkinn

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Jim and George,
Thanks, but I can only claim credit for the red one. Manzanita is interesting, because two sides will show birdseye, but the two other sides show the tubes that the birdseyes form, which look like curl. I just love it, but you have to go through a lot of cracked wood to get a good pen blank. I'm not yet proficient with filling gaps.
Rob

Rob,

Judging from the few manzanita burls I've seen so far, I would think the gaps are too "cavernous" and crevice-like to fill. At least from what *I've* seen. My manzanita desk clock is having it's last coats of tung oil/linseed oil/poly applied and I hope I'll have some photos of it soon to show off.

It sure is one of my favorite woods, way up there with Amboyna.

Beautiful pens!! What is greasewood?

Nancy

Dario

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />I just love it, but you have to go through a lot of cracked wood to get a good pen blank.

Exactly!!!

Not to mention that most Manzanita burl (being a root burl) have a lot of rock imbedded inside. Not good for the bandsaw blades at all [V][B)].

I sell some manzanita burl when I get some but they ain't cheap. Still sold out all that I have...including my personal stash.

Like Nancy...it is also one of my favorites. [8D]

Dario

Nancy,

Don't be...I can easily reflenish, besides I needed the cash more LOL [:p].

I have the burls HUGE too (as much as 40 pounds)...just need to dig them out of my pile and mill them [;)].

Shows that though I love my stash...I can be bribed/bought LOL.

punkinn

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Nancy,

Don't be...I can easily reflenish, besides I needed the cash more LOL [:p]. Shows that though I love my stash...I can be bribed/bought LOL.

Good thing you have your priorities straight... mine are a little crooked at the moment. [;)] (wood, wood, wood, wood, wood, pen kits, turning supplies, place to live, food, water. that about sums it up!)

Nancy :)

BigRob777

I know this is the 2nd thread on this subject, but we may as well open it up to everyone who either got, or sent a pen. Well, I guess whomever gets one, also sent one. Following Anthony's example, let's not post pens, until they are received.

Or we could do this on the "official thread". It makes no difference to me.
Rob

Deere41h

Been traveling so I missed this post. I am the lucky recipient of Robs Manzanita Burl pen. And I must tell you that it is nicer in real life than in a picture. It will be proudly displayed in my collection. Nice job Rob. It's a keeper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom