This pen has ISSUES

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tseger

tseger

...But this is another that I can blame on "A first attempt"
tn_zigzag_jrgent.jpg

tn_zigzag_jg_topoff.jpg

At least mabye the idea was worth a shot.
Any comments welcome. Thanks for looking. Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I think that if you had sanded the sections so that the lines encircling the pen weren't so apparant it would be a real nice pen. The laminations were well done. I really like the bold, simple concept of the design.

kirkfranks

I think it is close. I do like the purpleheart zig zags.
Next time try using some of the white (don't know what it was) in between each of the segments. Or perhaps black veneer would look better. Something in between the segments to make it look like it was planned that way.

Don't give up.

bitshird

Tim,the idea is darned good, perhaps sanding the segments flat using a mandrel would help cut down the gaps, maybe even using some thin aluminum stock or some thin black veneer between the segments might work on the next try, but you have to keep working on that design it flat rocks, Firefyter-emt makes a sanding mandrel that might help to..:):)

tseger

thanks for the suggestions, the PH strip that makes up the zig zag was thicker on one side than it was on the other. I realized this during glue up but decided to go ahead with it since I had never done a pen like this. the part that bothers me is the dark material in the open grain. I tried a sanding sealer, but obviously it didn't work. Thanks for all comments. Tim

Randy_

Good first attempt; but you know some fine tuning is needed.

I don't know what others think; but for me, the two short sections at the ends of the barrel are a problem. Right now you have four "full" sections that are more or less the same thickness and two partial sections that are different thicknesses. I think you need to do the math and use five sections that are all the same thickness.

workinforwood

Franks comments will help immensely because your segments don't line up right. There looks to be a crack in one ends as well. I suggest disassembly of the kit and spin the blank right off the tube. You can re-use the tube and kit for a second attempt. I'd like to add to, just my opinion, but the white stripes blend too much into the light wood that you used in the main part of the body. I would add a black stripe so that you have purple, then white, then black then the main body which is your lighter wood. Balance your segments better too. The barrel is around 2" long. You have to do some math. I'd go for 6 segments at 3/8 each. That leaves 1/8 to barrel trim off each end, so you stick the tube in just 1/8 past the hole. Each end segment will be 1/8 shorter, but they will be even on each end, just like as seen in my example pic.

200821145810_zigzag%20001.jpg

Randy_

Originally posted by workinforwood

.....Balance your segments better too. The barrel is around 2" long. You have to do some math. I'd go for 6 segments at 3/8 each. That leaves 1/8 to barrel trim off each end, so you stick the tube in just 1/8 past the hole. Each end segment will be 1/8 shorter, but they will be even on each end, just like as seen in my example pic.

Tim: Tastes vary so different designs appeal to different people. Jeff's design is way to busy for me and and I much prefer your 5 segment design.

Seems to me 1/8" is a lot to trim from the barrel and with a little more precise math you could make all of the segments to very nearly, if not exactly, the same size. For example, if you used five segments 7/16" wide, you would need to trim less than a 16" off of each end. The slightly shorter end segments would probably not be noticeable to most folks; but it would not take much additional effort to make all of the segments identical in width, if that was your preference.

wickford

as a newbie here, I'm very interested in segmenting. I really like both of these zig zag patterns, but I have no idea how to make a blank for it???

Anyone will to share information on how put together and cut the blank for these zig zags?

Thanks!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jeff,

I rarely do segmenting - nearly NEVER on pens.

However, because people know I like woodworking I get gifts related to the "sport". Amomg these are a couple books on segmenting. Similar in style to the "Dick Sing" woodturning books (Schiffer (???) press), they are step-by-step how to's. Pick one up. The patterns shown on pens are in the first couple pages. Then, if you do bowls, peppermills, kaleidoscopes, etc, there are MANY choices that will only work with more "repeats" than pens.

FWIW

workinforwood

I agree Randy..the extra 1/8 just gives a bit of safety factor just incase of perhaps a drill bit wander in the beginning or a bit of tearout on the backside, perhaps you don't get it drilled as square as you'd like. It's just some simple insurance. And hey..this is about his pen, not mine! ;)

Hey wickford..do a search on zig zags, you'll find more, and get the idea's on how. There's some other options too, like diamond inlays. I personally think, the shorter your zigs, the more they zag, so I prefer 8 segments per barrel. I've done them both ways, just a zig zag down the middle and solid on the sized, and with the cirles on the sides..they both look good to me, I do sell the ones that turn into circles on the sides a whole lot faster though. Any zig zagging pen seems to sell like lightning.

Top Bottom