The pen Gods were smiling down at me...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mranum

mranum

The day I made this pen was one of those days I was suppose to stay as far away from my shop as possible. While turning the lower blank, turning down the edge to meet the bushing, at the middle of the pen, I did something to cause a series of chips that went below the level of the bushing :mad: damkit! While contemplating my next move and fighting off the urge for a cocktail, I decided to try and undercut the bushing a bit and see what happened. The chips went deeper than I thought so I decided to quit while I was ahead. The rest turned fine and all was good until I went to put it together and pressed in the top bushing and in the last tiny amount I heard a "pop" :mad::mad: DAMKIT! 2 small cracks on either side of the top.

After many adult beverages and contemplation, I contacted Ed, where I got the blank from, asking about the ability to fix it. He offered me much advice about praying to the pen Gods and leading a clean respectable life, he obviously doesn't know me,:tongue: along with some things to try with ca.

Ed the pen Gods were apparently smiling down on me, either that or they had finally got tired of torturing me, 1 crack has completely disappeared and the other is very faint and is now under the clip. I was able to also do some build up on the lower blank too to help repair my issues there. I still left it undercut some and I don't think it looks too bad that way. One other thing I should have done was to paint the tube. You can see a hint of the brass color in spots.

This was a challenge with a happy ending. Thanks Ed for the help!

Matt

Attachments

• 2010_03160001.jpg
    2010_03160001.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 2010_03160002.jpg
    2010_03160002.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 2010_03160003.jpg
    2010_03160003.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 2010_03160004.jpg
    2010_03160004.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dudley Young

"The pen Gods were smiling down at me... "

Nice pen after all. I have a nice blue plastic bag on the bottom shelf under my bench that receives those flub d dubs. Than I grab another bland and start over. I guess I'm a quitter AH. :redface:

Top Bottom