fiori.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 294
  • fiori_1.jpg
    fiori_1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 296
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Oh, hey! She's sure a beaut, there.

Did you cast the blanks or just use copious quantities of epoxy to glue them to the tubes? Did you find any species of flowers easier/harder to glue/work with?

plantman

Very pretty! Would that pen be a diecifiori rather than a millefiori?:wink:

Chris; I may be wrong but here goes. diecifiori is Italian ' dieci " meaning ten and " fiori " meaning flower or ten flowers. Usualy used when looking at Porcelain or Bone china designs that have been painted with a flower design. Millefiori comes from the Italian words " mille " meaning million, and " fiori " meaning flower, or million flowers. Formaly being called by the name mosiac until the late 18th century. It is usualy seen on Venetian glassware or clay tiles. Lately Millefiori has also taken on the meaning from the old Japanese and Chinese forms of folding clays together to make floral or other designs. Polymer clays are widely used for this form of art today, but many cultures still use the old methods. As far as the pen , the design would be diecifiori, but the art form would be called embellishment. Embellish- to beautify with ornamentation; adorn. To enhance with elaborative additions. I think this pen comes under that heading. Well done!!! Jim S

Last edited:

theidlemind

Chris; I may be wrong but here goes. diecifiori is Italian ' dieci " meaning ten and " fiori " meaning flower or ten flowers. Usualy used when looking at Porcelain or Bone china designs that have been painted with a flower design. Millefiori comes from the Italian words " mille " meaning million, and " fiori " meaning flower, or million flowers. Formaly being called by the name mosiac until the late 18th century. It is usualy seen on Venetian glassware or clay tiles. Lately Millefiori has also taken on the meaning from the old Japanese and Chinese forms of folding clays together to make floral or other designs. Polymer clays are widely used for this form of art today, but many cultures still use the old methods. As far as the pen , the design would be diecifiori, but the art form would be called embellishment. Embellish- to beautify with ornamentation; adorn. To enhance with elaborative additions. I think this pen comes under that heading. Well done!!! Jim S

Mille is actually "thousand". mil·le·fi·o·re .
Origin: 1840–50; *< Italian, *equivalent to mille *thousand (< Latin ) + fiori, *plural of fiore *< Latin flōri- *(stem of flōs ) flower

Art of a Thousand Flowers. AKA "Toni".

Definitely a new twist. I'm interested in seeing how well it stands up to UV and daily use. Keep us posted please.

plantman

Chris; I may be wrong but here goes. diecifiori is Italian ' dieci " meaning ten and " fiori " meaning flower or ten flowers. Usualy used when looking at Porcelain or Bone china designs that have been painted with a flower design. Millefiori comes from the Italian words " mille " meaning thousand, and " fiori " meaning flower, or a thousand flowers. Formaly being called by the name mosiac until the mid 19th century. It is usualy seen on Venetian glassware or clay tiles. Lately Millefiori has also taken on the meaning from the old Japanese and Chinese forms of folding clays together to make floral or other designs. Polymer clays are widely used for this form of art today, but many cultures still use the old methods. As far as the pen , the design would be diecifiori, but the art form would be called embellishment. Embellish- to beautify with ornamentation; adorn. To enhance with elaborative additions. I think this pen comes under that heading. Well done!!! Jim S

Mille is actually "thousand". mil·le·fi·o·re .
Origin: 1840–50; *< Italian, *equivalent to mille *thousand (< Latin ) + fiori, *plural of fiore *< Latin flōri- *(stem of flōs ) flower

Art of a Thousand Flowers. AKA "Toni".

Definitely a new twist. I'm interested in seeing how well it stands up to UV and daily use. Keep us posted please.

You are correct. I had mille and million on my mind. It is a thousand. Sorry !! Also will be interesting to see what happens if any moisture was retained in the flower petals. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom