Pen for Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

My swap pen for Ed the inspiration came from having this blank of 3000 yr old River Red Gum retreived from 180 feet under a sand quarry and at one time we had an 1800,s four poster Australian Cedar bed, I wanted to match the age with a suitable design. The early beds were 3/4 size and six foot long. I am 6feet one now and was 6foot two inches and I had to lay on a diagonal, lots of fun for a few years and my wife an avid quilter had hand sewn and pieced a fabulous quilt or six for it.

River Red Gum grows for a really long time and is a valued timber here, this piece has a fantastic tight curly grain I tried to show in the pics. Thanks to my mate Landon for biting the bullet and running this years PITH and thanks Ed for your gracious reception of it.

Seasons best of everything to everyone. Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0382.jpg
    DSCF0382.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF0357.jpg
    DSCF0357.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF0359.jpg
    DSCF0359.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Another PITH, another Aussie!!

These guys fib!!! Peter wrote me to say he only turns "simple slimlines". So, I assured him that I enjoy the PITH and would treasure anything he chose. Then, there was the question of "timber". Again, I told Peter I enjoy learning about local (to you) species, so anything is fine. So, I thoroughly expected a nice slimline in a Mallee.

Yesterday, the pen(s) arrived. First I had to remove a few "extra blanks" Peter had sent to "fill the spaces" in the box. Then, there were two pens (he HAD warned us he would make one for Dawn too) in nice leather pen pouches. But mine was not ROUND!!!

Peter had described, in his emails, a "milling machine" he designed and constructed. When I looked at the marvelous pen, I could only IMAGINE the intricasy of making the hexagonal cuts. AND, they are perfect, but there is a round section to the top of the pen, to allow for the clip base.

"Impressed"?? YOU BET!!! Couple this with his choice of amazing "timber" and, well, let's just say I am REALLY enthusiastic about adding this to my "pens from friends" collection.

THANK YOU, Peter!!! I sure hope I get another Aussie next year--I really enjoy their "plain slimlines"!!!

alphageek

Former Moderator
I got to see this... Impressive! The transitions from hex to round are perfect! I haven't seen any other 'hex' pens made, but this one makes me wish I could do it.

Great pen!

Top Bottom