Pen for a "Don"2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

The Don called me up on the phone and said Steve's pen was too girly with the colors and asked me to make something more manly. :biggrin:

Hehe..kidding of course cause I love ya Steve, and can't resist.

I really just whipped this thing up with whatever I had handy this morning. It took about 1 minute to lay it out and 2 minutes to cut it with the scroll saw. The points where pretty long in the layout, but now I can see that should I do it again I need to double the length which would also make them skinnier and reduce the angle. Anyone can do this with a scroll saw, it's super simple and fast. As you see here, this isn't perfect, but the first shot is rarely ever perfect..you start with a sample then adapt from there. All my lower points match perfect, the upper points are a tiny bit off..I knew I should have drilled it on the lathe..but I was impatient and just wanted to see what the test run would look like.

Attachments

• PC160043.jpg
    PC160043.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 287
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, I'm glad to see that you're getting the hang of the scrollsaw. Keep it up and you'll get there eventually......................maybe:biggrin::biggrin::tongue:
Well done Jeff:cool:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Think I'll just hang aournd the sidelines and wait for Don 3 to appear. Then I can be Don4 - or maybe one of you will if he doesn't like the pens. Scroll on master.

gvanweerd

Ohh a scrollsaw. i've been wanting to incorporate my scrollsaw. but i haven't been using it. since i got addicted to turning pens.. I need a hint. Did you stack your blanks before you cut them? i have all these flying dutchmen blades that are dying to be used. :)

workinforwood

You couldn't do this by stacking two blanks on top of one another during cutting. In cut one you remove 2 triangles. In cut 2 you remove two compound triangles. That's a total of three pieces in the bin. <That's Steve talk for trash can:laugh::wink:
What you can do is take 2 blanks the exact same width, so we'll say 3/4x3/4 by whatever long. You would mark the center of the blank. You would use your ruler to lay out a triangle off the center. An average tube is 2", and so I figured a 1.75 long pitch would be perfect..nope. I'm guessing you need at least a 2.5, maybe 2.75 long pitch triangle. This is because of the compound factor that I didn't consider in the first attempt. You are drawing two identical triangles on one blank only, a triangle and then turn the blank only one time and triangle two is an exact match. It doesn't matter if you are laying out the triangles so you cut the female or the male end of the triangle. Personally I'd do the female end first. Once the 3 pieces fall out, you set the blank on top of the second blank and trace the triangle. Then you turn both blanks and trace the triangle again on the sides. Then you cut blank 2 and glue the two blanks together. Do a test fit of course. If the fit needs a bit of tweaking, tweak the male end by shaving or sanding the points.

Jon-wx5nco

Jeff,
You need to make a video on how to do this. This and the other pen are some awesome work

workinforwood

Well thanks Jon. I don't do video's and feel that a pen like this, the way I do it, is very basic and super simple to do. Just cut, flip, cut, trace cut, done. takes 3 minutes from layout to complete. What Steve has done far out does what I have done. He's the one you want a video from!

rjwolfe3

I wish my brain worked like you and Skippy. I have a hard time cutting a straight line, lol. The pen looks great. I think that pattern on both barrels would look awesome!

workinforwood

I wish my brain worked like you and Skippy. I have a hard time cutting a straight line, lol. The pen looks great. I think that pattern on both barrels would look awesome!

You know Steve and I think completely different as to how to accomplish something. Sometimes things are not so complicated, but on the other hand, his more technical mind is the better teacher. What I have done here is really great, because people can see at the same time, two different ways of accomplishing a task. Steve reminds me of my math teacher. You know, I remember asking my math teacher why should I even care about all this mathematics when it won't apply to my normal everyday life. Well, actually with penturning, high match skills would be quite an asset..just looks at Malcolm Tibbets, mathematics professor and incredible segmented bowl turner..but I digress. The math teacher looked at me and said I was right, I would probably not use so much of the math he is teaching, but the reason we learn math is not to be able to use the formula's, it is to teach our brains to think in different ways. So sometimes I can come up with a simpler way, but I strive for more complex solutions. Steve is far more of an artist than he realises.

gvanweerd

Thanks for the hint Jeff. That was a good as drawing a picture. LOL. I see in my head what you are saying. Now if i can just make my hands do what my brain see. Thanks again...

mickr

I sure liked Don I ..when will we see a real he-man pen named Donna? Something sleek in Black & silver with 50mm lazered on the side?

Top Bottom