Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Lenny

Lenny

Our company remodeled an old home for Pulitzer Prize winning author David McCullough a few years ago, and we continue to do projects for him from time to time. David and his wife Rosalee are two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. I have a signed copy of "1776" that says ..."Master furniture maker and great friend" ... and I have been trying to figure out which part of that is the greater exaggeration !! :biggrin:
As he was signing a book for a co-worker one time, Rosalee leaned over and whispered to me ... "If anyone can find an unsigned copy of his book it will be a collector's item someday"!!! :biggrin: She keeps him grounded. :)

So when the historical wood became available, through a post on this site last Spring, I thought, "Who better to have a pen made from George Washington's Horse Chestnut"?

They have been travelling for the last 3 months working on his next book.
So this morning was my first opportunity to deliver the gift. Personally I prefer the pen Rosalee picked out ... an Amboyna burl Jr. Gent II :)

A special Thanks to Ed for all his help!
still can't get a GOOD photo but ....
http://picasaweb.google.com/toolmanlh/APenForDavidMcCullough#

Attachments

• DavidMcC.jpg
    DavidMcC.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 648
  • GWhchestnut.jpg
    GWhchestnut.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Great story and nice pen, Lenny!

I have an unsigned copy of 1776. I think I'll keep it that way:). I didn't realize that McCullough was still alive.

Lenny

Great story and nice pen, Lenny!

I have an unsigned copy of 1776. I think I'll keep it that way:). I didn't realize that McCullough was still alive.

Not only is he still alive, every book he has written is still being published! :)

so I learned today :tongue:

lazyguy

1776 is an awesome account of our first year. And I know it is bad english but David's John Adams is awesomer. Nice gesture, nice pen.

Muggsy1776

Friends of mine ran into him once at Colonial Williamsburg and said he was just the nicest person. That's a great gift you gave him. Thanks to people like him, our history is not lost and is brought to light to a whole new generation.

Lenny

Friends of mine ran into him once at Colonial Williamsburg and said he was just the nicest person. That's a great gift you gave him. Thanks to people like him, our history is not lost and is brought to light to a whole new generation.

They both have a way of making you feel as if you have been friends forever. Very gracious people!

He is a national treasure!

Lenny

Having recently watched John Adams and the bonus material with Mr. McCullough I'm certain he was exceptionally pleased.

We were doing some work for them around the time the HBO mini series was being made. They had some very interesting stories to tell about the making of the film.

The bonus material on the DVD's were great! :biggrin::biggrin:

Lenny

Thanks, John.
Along with the pen and Certificate of Authenticity, I also included a few photos of some of the process, including one with the pens being finished using your eliminator bushings. I wish I had taken more photos as he was quite curious about it.
He immediately started thinking of different ideas, museums and people who might be interested in similar "projects" ... so ... we shall see! :)

PR_Princess

WOW Lenny, how cool is this?? :cool::cool::cool:

This sounds like the perfect fit and win-wins scenario. I hope that this the beginning of something really great for you!!!

Kaspar

Very, very cool. His "1776" was one of my favorite reads a few years ago.

I'd be interested to hear who else is getting the Washington Horse Chestnut Wood pens. I have a piece of that wood and the pen from it will be a birthday gift for someone "notorious" in either the good or the pejorative sense of that word, depending on your politics. It will be delivered around in the first week of December at which time I'll reveal the person's identity.

Lenny

Thanks Peter!

I was also able to "show off" my inventory of pens as I asked Rosalee to pick one out for herself. I was curious what type of pen she would like.... she ended up picking a Jr. Gent II fountain pen in Amboyna burl, picking it over a Cherry burl Majestic jr. saying she liked the less ornate look. (I'm paraphrasing here but that was the idea I got from what she said) I thought that was interesting and good information to consider. :)

Top Bottom