Pen and Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcreasey

jcreasey

Thanks everyone for the wonderful encouragement on my other posts.
I recently made this pen for my son's birthday.

I made the box from some weird material that is used for making skateboard ramps. I think it is made from paper which is soaked in phenolic resin. Anyway, it's what I had and it machines beautifully.

I sandwiched it with aluminium and used the fly cutter on my milling machine to finish it off.

I was too lazy to drive to the hardware store to buy hinges so I came up with a way to make my own. They ended up being one of the best features of the box!

My son was really happy to get it. He is an apprentice mechanic and it now lives in pride of place in his toolbox at work.

_MG_3975.jpg _MG_3971.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Wow...super pen and box! It (the box) seems so well suited for a mechanic. You started with a nice theme on that box and then carried it through, including great looking hinges. Can't see the pen very well, but it looks to be on a par with the box. Nice work!

jcreasey

Pray tell, what is the hinge mechanism?

Pretty simple. If you look at the photos you will see the back of the box has two contrasting vertical stripes. Those are the hinges...

I rounded over the bottom rear edge of the lid.
I then cut two slots in the back of the box.
I made two vertical pieces to fit the slots.
I assembled it together then drilled a hole for a pivot, which I pushed some rod into.
I also had to round over the tops of the vertical pieces.

Top Bottom