Pen #7 PenturningZ Comfort in Cocobolo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hotwire55

hotwire55

This is Pen #7--WoodturningZ Comfort in Cocobolo. I posted a thread yesterday about applying a CA finish. I'm aware now that it isn't perfect and I'm open for any advice you want to offer. No problems, just tell me what you think. Actually, I could see problems with it all the time, but went ahead with it. Thanks Everybody & IAP! ----------Bobby Moyers

www.wk.net/mose/

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Twissy

Here you go....
IMG_4417.1.JPG

jaeger

Bobby,
I think you did a good job. I like the profile of the blanks, they fit the components well.
Now for critique, it looks like you turned the nib just a little proud of the bushings. It looks like the nib actually cuts into the wood. Here is a tip for you if this is the case. Once you have the blanks on the lathe and turned close to the size of the bushings, take the blanks off, especially the end where the nib will be. Now check to make sure that the blanks was faced squarely with the tube, maybe even take a piece of sandpaper 400 grit, lay it on the bed of the lathe and sand the blank until you are sure you are even with the tube. I think you may not have turned the blank flush with the bushing and I think you may have not been square with the tube.
Second critique, I see a scratch around the barrel just below the center band. You should have cleaned this up a little more with the skew. Here is another tip: When you have the barrels turned to size, remove the larger bushings and put on the smaller slim bushing to complete your final sanding and finishing. I think the bushing got in your way from getting everything sanded and finished evenly.
As far as a really nice finish using CA and BLO, there are a lot of variables. Cocobola is and oily wood and is very hard to get a really nice finish especially when you are on pen #7. Read everything you can on finishing and practice, practice and practice.

That is a nice pen and excellent advise from jaeger. Finishing with CA just plain takes time to get down. I know for me about the time I got it down I found that I was allergic to it! The one thing that I was resistant to was wet sanding the CA but after I started doing that I got a whole new look to the pens!

hotwire55

Bobby,
I think you did a good job. I like the profile of the blanks, they fit the components well.
Now for critique, it looks like you turned the nib just a little proud of the bushings. It looks like the nib actually cuts into the wood. Here is a tip for you if this is the case. Once you have the blanks on the lathe and turned close to the size of the bushings, take the blanks off, especially the end where the nib will be. Now check to make sure that the blanks was faced squarely with the tube, maybe even take a piece of sandpaper 400 grit, lay it on the bed of the lathe and sand the blank until you are sure you are even with the tube. I think you may not have turned the blank flush with the bushing and I think you may have not been square with the tube.
Second critique, I see a scratch around the barrel just below the center band. You should have cleaned this up a little more with the skew. Here is another tip: When you have the barrels turned to size, remove the larger bushings and put on the smaller slim bushing to complete your final sanding and finishing. I think the bushing got in your way from getting everything sanded and finished evenly.
As far as a really nice finish using CA and BLO, there are a lot of variables. Cocobola is and oily wood and is very hard to get a really nice finish especially when you are on pen #7. Read everything you can on finishing and practice, practice and practice.

jaeger,

Thanks for all your comments! I appreciate you taking the time to help me along in the learning process! Will be purchasing a 3/4" rounded edge Taylor skew and 8" slow speed grinder today. I have never used a skew chisel. The pen blank was actually turned down to finished size with an R4 carbide inserted turning tool. Maybe, if I'm careful, I won't be getting into the bushings with the skew. The Carbide tool will take wood off fast, but wasn't intended for finishing. I hope that isn't too bold of a statement, since I'm a newbie. Thanks so much for everything! Get back to everybody later today!---------Bobby Moyers

hotwire55

That is a nice pen and excellent advise from jaeger. Finishing with CA just plain takes time to get down. I know for me about the time I got it down I found that I was allergic to it! The one thing that I was resistant to was wet sanding the CA but after I started doing that I got a whole new look to the pens!

Mike,
I don't know If the CA is going to bother me or not, My lungs aren't the best in the world and I don't want to do anything to worsen my condition. I have purchased some of the General finish for pens from Exoticwoods.com. Would also like to see what I think about it. Don't have enough time with the CA though, and I don't want to leave it too quick, before I form my opinions. I appreciate your willingness to help out, and Thanks so much! -------Bobby Moyers

McBryde

I think you did good, Bobby.
As the artist, you will always find the flaws of your work. I've turned pens and bottlestoppers that people are just wow'ed by, but all I see are the imperfections and screw-ups no matter how tiny they are. It's the curse of being the artist.

hotwire55

I think you did good, Bobby.
As the artist, you will always find the flaws of your work. I've turned pens and bottlestoppers that people are just wow'ed by, but all I see are the imperfections and screw-ups no matter how tiny they are. It's the curse of being the artist.

Sometimes, I know and recognize the flaws in my work, at other times I just plain don't know enough about what I'm doing. I appreciate your words of encouragement! Looking forward to posting some more pens soon! Sorry about not responding---been away from the computer for a few days. Have a good day in the Lord!!!!! ---Bobby Moyers

Mike,
I don't know If the CA is going to bother me or not, My lungs aren't the best in the world and I don't want to do anything to worsen my condition. I have purchased some of the General finish for pens from Exoticwoods.com. Would also like to see what I think about it. Don't have enough time with the CA though, and I don't want to leave it too quick, before I form my opinions. I appreciate your willingness to help out, and Thanks so much! -------Bobby Moyers

This is what I use. I also use the walnut oil for sanding.

DW Walnut Oil/Carnauba Wax /Shellac Woodturning Finish

Hope this helps you.

Mike

hotwire55

alternative pen finishes

Thanks Mike!

I created a desktop shortcut to the website with the products you recommended. I will definitely looking into these products & give them a try. Thanks much & appreciate the bible verse! ------- bobby moyers

Top Bottom