Pen #50 - Peppercorn Burl Hybrid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Noot17

Noot17

I started Penturning in February this year, and last night I officially finished pen #50! I know that's not much for a lot of people on here, but just doing it as a hobby, I felt like it was a good milestone.

To celebrate I offered the pen to my friends and family in a free raffle since they have all been very supportive of my new hobby.

The pen is a Jr Gent II made from my "dream blank" from George of George's bits of timber (robutacion) - a peppercorn tree burl resifill blank. Thanks for the beautiful blank, George!
The acrylic came out two tone, which I don't think was necessarily intentional, but I was able to split the tones with the clip, which makes it look pretty cool, I think.

8474a476b2270897719830fc15b96469.jpg
6bc295b00d98245d665ee4342439fb11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I started Penturning in February this year, and last night I officially finished pen #50! I know that's not much for a lot of people on here, but just doing it as a hobby, I felt like it was a good milestone.

To celebrate I offered the pen to my friends and family in a free raffle since they have all been very supportive of my new hobby.

The pen is a Jr Gent II made from my "dream blank" from George of George's bits of timber (robutacion) - a peppercorn tree burl resifill blank. Thanks for the beautiful blank, George!
The acrylic came out two tone, which I don't think was necessarily intentional, but I was able to split the tones with the clip, which makes it look pretty cool, I think.

G'day mate,

Stunning work, I wondered what you were going to do with the blanks you selected as the "dream blank", I suppose any blank could have had that title, each person is different.

As for me, I like what you did with it, a good shape, fit and finish.

Peppercorn burl is not a usual material seen in the world of pen and other blanks casting, I suppose the trees are a troublemaker capable of swallowing anything, something that I have demonstrated in a previous thread.

I'm lucky that I've found so much of this product and old enough to produce the spaltings we have seen, unfortunately, about 50% of the burl material become totally unusable even with stabilisation, those bits close to the outer part of the burl that was still usable are the pieces I used to stabilised and cast these blanks.

Thank you for showing...!

Cheers
George

Noot17

Thank you, George! I really like the peppercorn wood with the blue acrylic (my favorite color).
Looking forward to working with more of your blanks in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom