Pen #3 - Diplomat Ballpoint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sappheiros

Sappheiros

A special thanks to Mark James for the pen kit!!!

Pen #3 - Diplomat Ballpoint
Kit: Diplomat Ballpoint Pen - Gun Metal & Ti Gold
Blank: Pen Makers Choice Acrylic Pen Blank Antique Gold
Finish: Just sanded and micro-meshed to a nice sheen, but this time I sanded and polished both forward and reverse

I used another antique gold pen blank because I just loved the deep colors running through it! This one is definitely being kept just for me!

I decided to try out sanding and polishing both going forward and reverse to see if it would make a different. I'm not so sure that it did. Just testing the waters, really. I know that method is useful when working with wood.

C&C welcome! Thanks for checking it out! :)

Attachments

• IMG_5902_1080x1920.jpg
    IMG_5902_1080x1920.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5905_1080x1920.jpg
    IMG_5905_1080x1920.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_5906_1080x1920.jpg
    IMG_5906_1080x1920.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5908_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_5908_1920x1080.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5909_1080x1920.jpg
    IMG_5909_1080x1920.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 141
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice !! . Do you buy the blank and Diplomat pen kit from ExoticBlanks ?

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Good job Avi!

Are you able to go to the Wisconsin meeting this Sunday? If you would like to share a ride, PM me. I will be staying with one of my sons in Chicago Saturday night, leaving for the meeting in the AM, then driving back to Ohio after the meeting. I could pick you up and drop you off. Chicago is a small town right :biggrin:

plano_harry

Nice looking pen Avi. Love the color variation in that blank. The fit and finish look very good to me. Shape is totally a matter of preference, but since you asked, I generally try to follow the hardware shape. If you can imagine holding a business card against the side of the tapered finial and another along the front section, you would get a different shape that would look like the hardware was matched to the body. On a straight pen like a bolt action bullet, I generally turn the blank flat to match the bullet casing unless I am trying to capture something on the surface, such as antler bark.

Sappheiros

Good job Avi!

Are you able to go to the Wisconsin meeting this Sunday? If you would like to share a ride, PM me. I will be staying with one of my sons in Chicago Saturday night, leaving for the meeting in the AM, then driving back to Ohio after the meeting. I could pick you up and drop you off. Chicago is a small town right :biggrin:

Thanks, Mark!

I was going to come out for the meeting, but I've got a lot of work to get done this weekend. Is the next meeting going to be soon? :/

mecompco

Beautiful blank and workmanship. Since you asked, and with all due respect, I'm afraid I just don't like the "pregnant" look. A modest amount of "belly" is fine, but IMHO, that is just way too much.

Regards,
Michael

Sappheiros

Beautiful blank and workmanship. Since you asked, and with all due respect, I'm afraid I just don't like the "pregnant" look. A modest amount of "belly" is fine, but IMHO, that is just way too much.

Regards,
Michael

I'm trying out new things! I'm still so new to all this.. I'm trying to find my style and technique. The pen is looking a bit big.. :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"A bit big" is not unusual for someone starting out.

I think it is a fear of "blowing up"---you know the body is still one piece, why not call it a pen!!!

As you progress, you gain confidence and will turn to smaller and smaller diameters confidently.

GOOD START!!!!!

GaryMGg

Regards,
Michael

I'm trying out new things! I'm still so new to all this.. I'm trying to find my style and technique. The pen is looking a bit big.. :)

Hi Avi,

I personally use a skew to take acrylics down to the form I want.
When you get your skew razor sharp, you'll have ribbons streaming off and you'll lose some of the fat :biggrin:
I suggest using plain, straight grained woods to practice 'til you're comfortable with it.
Then when you start with a full size acrylic and get it to round, you'll have plenty of meat to practice with.
Initially, it's probably best to use the full thickness of an acrylic to practice getting ribbons.
Once you've got 'em on a large blank, you'll be able to get 'em close to the bushings--where it matters most.

Sappheiros

Thanks so much, Ed! :)

Gary, my main problem was that my turning tools came blunt and after using them, they got worse. I've ordered something to help sharpen them with.

Wait until I upload my fourth pen. I had some real trouble with that one. My tools were giving me some real trouble. Part of one blank chipped down to the tubing. I thought I could put off painting the blanks, but... you'll see. I'll try uploading it later. I did do my best at hiding it, though.

Top Bottom