"Pen" for a 2-year old

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bgibb42

bgibb42

I've posted this pen before, but I took some new pictures of it, hoping they would come out a little better. They didn't, but I'm working on it. My 2-year old son likes my pen so much, that I decided to make him a "pen" of his own. It was also an excuse to practice making my own threads. His "pen" is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it was kinda neat and worth sharing.

Any comments or criticisms welcome!

Attachments

• Jack's crayon pen 2 001.jpg
    Jack's crayon pen 2 001.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Jack's crayon pen 2 002.jpg
    Jack's crayon pen 2 002.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Jack's crayon pen 2 003.jpg
    Jack's crayon pen 2 003.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Jack's crayon pen 2 004.jpg
    Jack's crayon pen 2 004.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Jack's crayon pen 2 005.jpg
    Jack's crayon pen 2 005.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rum Pig

I like that I like it a lot:)

My 2 1/2 yr old takes my pens and give's me the crayons so I might need to make one for me so my crayons look good:biggrin:

Texatdurango

......Any comments or criticisms welcome!

Very clever indeed! You ought to make a few and carry them around with your other pens, lots of other folks with little ones.

One thought about your pen..... The cap with the custom finial and centerband shows you put a lot of work into the pen and I really like the clean look of the cap. But, the straight turned "bushing to bushing" upper cap, while very nice, really doesn't go with the "bulging" lower body, it looks lopsided to me. I think I would have made the lower body slimmer to match the cap or perhaps with a slight taper. Just a thought!

bgibb42

Neat idea, nice blank, what tap and die did you use or was it threaded on a lathe?

Thanks! I used a 1/2 x 20 tap and die to make the threads. I found out it's much harder than I thought it was going to be. This represents the fifth attempt and it's still not as good as I'd like. But that's part of learning, I guess.

bgibb42

Very clever indeed! You ought to make a few and carry them around with your other pens, lots of other folks with little ones.

One thought about your pen..... The cap with the custom finial and centerband shows you put a lot of work into the pen and I really like the clean look of the cap. But, the straight turned "bushing to bushing" upper cap, while very nice, really doesn't go with the "bulging" lower body, it looks lopsided to me. I think I would have made the lower body slimmer to match the cap or perhaps with a slight taper. Just a thought!

I agree. This is only the second closed end pen I've made, and I was scared to death to go "too far" and ruin the pen. :eek:

JohnU

This is exactly what I wanted to see. Ive been thinking of how I could secure a crayon in a holder like this for my nephews. I would like to figure out a way to make the crayon adjustable by possibly a twist motion on the body of the holder with some internal threads, so when the crayon gets down to the acrylic, they can twist it higher. Nice work.

Lenny

When I first saw this thread I cringed thinking "Is he crazy, the kid will poke his eye out with that thing"
Then I saw the pics ....lol :biggrin:
That is really great !

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
What a great idea! I've been trying to think about how to do something like that for my grandkids.

RAdams

Banned
Super cool idea!

I think the closed end pen looks really sharp. To me it looks like the body of the pen was brought down at the last moment to fit the coupling. I think the profile of the lid matches the profile of the pen. All business. I like it. ANyway, Just my two pennies.

Top Bottom