Pen #1 - Slimline Ballpoint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sappheiros

Sappheiros

Pen #1 - Slimline Ballpoint
Kit: Apprentice Fancy Slimline - 24k Gold
Blanks: myrtle burl & bocote
Finish: Mylands Friction Polish

Let me just say, turning my first pen was such a great experience! The bocote wood turned like butter, but the myrtle had a little bit more difficulty. It was definitely an interesting time. I was debating a CA finish, but really I wanted to try the Mylands my first time.

After tinkering around with the pen, though, the myrtle did get little stains towards each end. Gosh darn fingers, always getting in the way. The wood, otherwise, was great! My big complaint is the slimline kit. It is entirely possible that I did not put everything together right, but the twisting mechanism stopped working after assembled. I ended up pushing the ink cartridge down to the bottom so that the pen can at least be used, though now it cannot be retracted. This is my first pen, so I will keep it as a showpiece, I suppose. Learn from mistakes.

Attachments

• IMG_5892_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_5892_1920x1080.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_5893_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_5893_1920x1080.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5894_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_5894_1920x1080.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5895_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_5895_1920x1080.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5896_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_5896_1920x1080.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Avi, Very good for a first!
Consider this a continuing learning experience.
If the transmission is indeed faulty, it can be disabled and a new one pressed in.

As for dark ends on the light wood, it may be first, sanding dust from the bushings which inbeded in the wood.
Next is the brass tube showing through the thin part of the blank. Painting the tube can help here.

Good luck in a repair or your next pen.

stonepecker

You should always keep you first pen.

The wood combo is interesting. Looks like your fit is spot on.
Wipe the blanks between each change of sanding paper or micro mesh. This will stop you from carrying dust from one to the next.

Looks like you did a great job.......keep it up and post even more.

Sabaharr

I know this may seem like a really stupid question but I did it once while not paying attention to what I was doing and ruined a cartridge and twist mechanism. By any chance did you press in the transmission (twist mechanism) with the refill installed in it? If you did then that was the problem. If you didn't then I am still the only one that has ever admitted doing that.

Drewboy22

Looks really nice Avi. I like that Myrtle Burl and the Bocote Combo. I would have never thought of putting those together. Great Job!

magpens

Nice first pen !!! . I like the contrasting wood colors.

Changing the transmission is not a very big deal if you have a spare one. It would help to have a transfer punch set ... you need only 2 of the punches at this time, but it is handy to have the whole set ... about $15 from HF. Be sure to ask for help with the process of replacing the transmission if you go that route.

Sappheiros

I know this may seem like a really stupid question but I did it once while not paying attention to what I was doing and ruined a cartridge and twist mechanism. By any chance did you press in the transmission (twist mechanism) with the refill installed in it? If you did then that was the problem. If you didn't then I am still the only one that has ever admitted doing that.

You know, I think I may have for just a second. I'd already pressed the twist mechanism in what I calculated as "enough" but then found it was just a short distance shy.

Changing the transmission is not a very big deal if you have a spare one. It would help to have a transfer punch set ... you need only 2 of the punches at this time, but it is handy to have the whole set ... about $15 from HF. Be sure to ask for help with the process of replacing the transmission if you go that route.

I think I'll start looking into that. Thanks!

And thank you everyone for the compliments! I was actually going to make the entire pen out of the myrtle burl, but the glue didn't take in one end and the tube slipped down while I was squaring making it a little bit too short, but after thinking it over, the bocote drew my eye. :)

Top Bottom