Pecan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

Here is a pecan slimline. I really like the way this wood looks, but it sure is hard and dulls the tools quick. I got a couple pointers on improving my CA finish that I implemented on this pen. What do you think of the finish?

Slim-Pecan-GM.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I think you did an excellent job on both the fit & finish. I know I struggled at first with finishing. Now I just take more time, and I do it the same each time. I think that has as much to do with a good finish as anything. When you find what works, stay with it. . . . . . . . . . . Until it doesn't work. And that happens too.:rolleyes:

bitshird

Derek, the finish looks fine, the shine line is the tip, it shows almost the same width along the wood as it does across the center band and the fit also looks good.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Derek, That's a nice looking piece of timber. I like the finish on it. Care to share a tip with me? :biggrin: You might experiment with your light position a little. Seems to be a white out on the lighter areas. Great job on the pen! Thanks for sharing it with us.

sbwertz

Yep, also known as "pecan-crete". It is a first cousin to hickory, and hard as a rock. I have a log that is from a 100 year old tree, and it weighs a ton. Don't have any idea how I'm going to cut it up.

widows son

Pecancrete

Yep, also known as "pecan-crete". It is a first cousin to hickory, and hard as a rock. I have a log that is from a 100 year old tree, and it weighs a ton. Don't have any idea how I'm going to cut it up.

Lots of pecan available locally here in Texas and a lot of it is free. Cutting up the tree shouldn't be a problem with a sharp chain on the chain saw. It does take a nice finish and I get to practice my sharpening.

Top Bottom