Paua Abalone Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Turned it this A.M. It's a Paua Abalone blank from Classic Nib on a Rh/Blk Ti Emperor Fountain Pen. The true magician behind this creation is Ken Brown who makes these works of art. Hope you like it. Doc:)

Attachments

• Paua Abalone Emperor_1.jpg
    Paua Abalone Emperor_1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 795
  • Paua Abalone Emperor_2.jpg
    Paua Abalone Emperor_2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 361
  • Paua Abalone Emperor_3.jpg
    Paua Abalone Emperor_3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 304
  • Paua Abalone Emperor.jpg
    Paua Abalone Emperor.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 503

CharlesH

Damn! Are these available in Jr Gent. size? It looks fantastic, I could surely make an exception and turn this non-wood material. ;-)

You made fantastic photos as always. I seen Ken's creations in others posts but you surely make it more appealing than what I seen. ;-)

C

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks great. You just need to swap the IPG kit nib. (Not because there's anything wrong with it, just because I think a nib without gold would look better:wink:)
I still can't get my head around the superb way the strips of MOP are cut and fitted to the tubes.:eek: Top class!!

Timebandit

Looks great. You just need to swap the IPG kit nib. (Not because there's anything wrong with it, just because I think a nib without gold would look better:wink:)
I still can't get my head around the superb way the strips of MOP are cut and fitted to the tubes.:eek: Top class!!

Yeah, those arent cut. Thats a sheet thats been heated and formed around the tube. There should only be one seem. You can easily buy them in the sheet form. Still great looking though!!

louie68

Check out www.mudhole.com where you can find the sheets to wrap FYI.:)

OKLAHOMAN

Guys they are cut here is a close up of one, He cuts them and then cuts an angle on the edges to match up going around the brass tube. each strip is approx. 1/8 inch wide. I have destroyed one of my blanks to make sure of this.

Attachments

• IMG_3115-1.JPG
    IMG_3115-1.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 155

wizard

Skippy, Nib..hmm..found a funny looking one with a deer on it...I think it looks a bit better too :wink:. Doc:)

Attachments

• Paua Abalone Emperor_4.jpg
    Paua Abalone Emperor_4.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Paua Abalone Emperor_5.jpg
    Paua Abalone Emperor_5.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 140

Timebandit

Skippy, Nib..hmm..found a funny looking one with a deer on it...I think it looks a bit better too :wink:. Doc:)

LOL!! A deer??!?!?!??!!!!:eek:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for the confirmation Roy, I thought I was losing my mind for a minute there.:wink: I remember seeing one of these where the blank appeared to be octagonal but the patterns matched across each joint. ( except the last one of course )
Didn't Butch also cut'n'paste some of these MOP blanks too?
I wish he'd come back.

wizard

OOPS...I meant a buck...or a bock or something like that:biggrin:.

Timebandit

OOPS...I meant a buck...or a bock or something like that:biggrin:.

LOL!!! Where is the face palm emoticon when you need it!!! I thought it was a mountain goat:biggrin:

louie68

Im sorry but they are wrap look at the cracks on the pens he shows, I have made many shell pens and these are wrap not cut strips.
Is this pen wrap or cut?
Red Heron Abalone Shell

Attachments

• red heron pen hern.jpg
    red heron pen hern.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 175

louie68

Here's a different angle of red Heron Pen
Wrap Or Cut ???

Attachments

• red heron pen hern.jpg
    red heron pen hern.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 134

louie68

Here's a Abalone pen I casted and "wrap"

Attachments

• gatsbyshellpen1 002.jpg
    gatsbyshellpen1 002.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 155
  • gatsbyshellpen1 001.jpg
    gatsbyshellpen1 001.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 169
  • gatsbyshellpen1 004.jpg
    gatsbyshellpen1 004.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 148
  • gatsbyshellpen1 003.jpg
    gatsbyshellpen1 003.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 144

louie68

More Abalone Shell Casting Pens "Wrap"

Attachments

• Red abalone shell pen  pict 022_256x192.jpg
    Red abalone shell pen pict 022_256x192.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 118
  • abaloneshell.jpg
    abaloneshell.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 123
  • abalone_red.jpg
    abalone_red.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 123
  • _abaloneshell_gold cast_p130.jpg
    _abaloneshell_gold cast_p130.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 131
  • _abaloneshell_purple_pensgroup 189.jpg
    _abaloneshell_purple_pensgroup 189.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 122

louie68

Roy If they were cut into strips tell me why is there crack's in the casting on your pen?:)

Guys they are cut here is a close up of one, He cuts them and then cuts an angle on the edges to match up going around the brass tube. each strip is approx. 1/8 inch wide. I have destroyed one of my blanks to make sure of this.

OKLAHOMAN

Louie, I still see that you had scored (cut) the sheets maybe not all the way through but from the top to be able to wrap around the tubes or are the sheets pre scored (cut)or am I wrong. When Butch was doing these a few years ago he said IIRC that he cut the sheets and beveled the edges and Ken told me he followed Butch's way of doing these. I agree your pen looks cut so I belive your responce I can only assume its scored and maybe were using two differen words meaning the same. BTW very nice pen..

louie68

Roy all my Abalone casting were Wrap ONLY, NO scoring on the sheets at all, Just gently "wrap and roll " "Not Rock & roll" I don't know what is IIRC?
But look very close on the pen show in his thread and you can see the cracks on the casting, and since I made Many of these casting I know from my experiance cracking means wrapping does this make sense to you? Louie

OKLAHOMAN

Still tiring to wrap my head around how straight a line happens when wrapping but I'll take your word. Either way they make magnificent pens .
Doc sorry for stealing your thread, you still are my favorite Wiz.....:biggrin:

IIRC is "If I remember correctly":biggrin:

Roy all my Abalone casting were Wrap ONLY, NO scoring on the sheets at all, Just gently "wrap and roll " "Not Rock & roll" I don't know what is IIRC?
But look very close on the pen show in his thread and you can see the cracks on the casting, and since I made Many of these casting I know from my experiance cracking means wrapping does this make sense to you? Louie

louie68

Doc Sorry for stealing your thread also! Your pen looks very nice keep turning !!!

kenspens

thanks to all of the wonderfull artists and their compliments
truly some of the best ppl in the world are found here on the iap

thanks doc for making my work look so good truly an awesome pen! and roy (oklahoman) a special shout to you! thanks for believing in me and my work!!
sincerely
ken brown
kens exotic pen artistry

Top Bottom