A Paua Abalone Cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is a Paua shell cigar I made for my MIL . She has been a great help during this bout with unemployment and I wanted to do something nice for her so I picked out some exceptional shell to create this pen . The colors in this shell stock are spectacular , too bad I can't get it to show in the pictures . She suffers from arthritis and she needs a bigger pen so a cigar pen is perfect . I just hope she likes it .

As always , comments are welcome .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Butch,
Fantastic pen. Just look at the color differentiation from the top of the pen to the reflection on the bottom, the colors must slap you silly. I am sure she will love it.

Last edited:

louie68

Butch very nice looking pen, where do you get the paua shells? are they veneer sheets?

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone . These shell pens have become my most requested pens now . I can't keep the sierras in stock , everyone that sees them wants one . The biggest problem is that they take so much work to make . After I cut the strips they are each hand sanded to get a clean , tight fit . Then the strips are glued to the tubes and sealed and the tubes are sanded and then cast . Even after all that work I still get about 10% failure due to separation between the shells and resin . That's why the ones I sell here are turned round and polished so I can inspect them for problems .

Louie , I get my stock from a jewelry supplier in Australia , but there are a number of places on the net where they are available . There was a thread about a week ago on suppliers . I think it's in the casting forum .

Paul , yes I do occasionally make kit pens .

Cris , the color that you see in the photos are just a tease compared to what they look like in person . The base color is a shiny silver that shifts to blue and gold and even purple when looked at from different angles . Under a bright light or sunlight the pen really comes alive with color , it's amazing .

Toni

Butch didnt know Jersey had such beautiful shells:biggrin:Great looking pen MIL is going to love it!! Cant wait to see what else you are up to:eek:

OKLAHOMAN

Ok now you've done it......I have 342 pens in stock and Diane saw this one and said..................I want!!......No make that demanded...
Butch that is super...

Top Bottom