pau lope /expensive deck cutoff pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

A good friend dropped off some cutoffs from an outdoor deck being built in his neighborhood. Straight from the rain forest, this stuff is so dense it will sink in water. Sounded really tough in the saw being cut into blanks, but turned like a dream. By the time I got to 12000 grit I didn't need to put on a finish. Lots of natural goodies in this stuff. Decided to put on a coat of bees wax to bring out a little color. I think you could use this stuff without a brass tube!!!!

Rich

200411231617_pao_loupe_pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Great idea Lou! This stuff is slightly on the boring side for action. Of course, this will be one of the "free" pens that goes back to pay the favor. To that guy, any pen will be cool because it came from his decking material! I'm going to turn a couple of spinning tops as well. This stuff is so tough that I once turned a 1/4" dia top with a stem of 1/64 dia. I think I still have it at home. In fact I think I have all but one of a group of 5 tops that would fit on a quarter. Thanks again for the tip.

Rich

low_48

Yup, one in the same. Did a Google and............ Love that Google, if only it could find my car keys!

Trade or Common Name: Ipe, lapacho, cortez, Pau Lope®, ironwood
Local Name: Corteza, corteza amarilla
Botanical Name: Tabebuia spp.
Family: Bignoniaceae
Distribution: Central & South America

The Tree: Ipe is a large canopy tree, growing to a height of 120 feet in the natural rain forest, with trunk diameter up to 3 feet and a clear bole of 60 feet. Some specimens grow to 150 feet with a 6 foot diameter trunk.

The Wood: Ipe heartwood is light to dark olive brown, often with attractive lighter or darker striping and striking contrasts with the lighter color sapwood. It has a fine texture, medium luster, and a somewhat oily appearance. Ipe is very hard (two to three times as hard as oak), very strong and very heavy. It weighs approximately 70 pounds per cubic foot and sinks in water. Ipe is rated as extremely durable.

Uses: Ipe is prized for quality furniture and decorative veneers, and because of its strength and durability, is used in boardwalks, decking, porch floors, tool handles, turnery, industrial flooring, and textile mill items to name a few..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom