Patriotic Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

I've wanted to make a Patriotic pen for sometime now and have finally had a chance to try.
It consists of blood wood / curly maple / and some glittery blue plastic stuff that I have no idea what it is.
Sierrapatriotic.jpg

Sierrapatriotic2.jpg

As always comments and concerns are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

prpldodge

Hi guys been reading for a long time. I just want to add Rifleman's post. I turned some pen's for the freedom pen project and ordered some r/w/b corian but never got any. I think there is a postal worker building a r/w/b counter top somewhere[:D]. I do have a phone number somewhere to the guy that is in charge of that.

its_virgil

Good job with the partiotic segs on the Sierra. The blue flecky stuff you got at bubbasville...it was already round...I have some just like it. NIce use of it.

I made a couple of seirras last nite and it is really a nice kit. Simple, stylish, and comfortable to use. I did find out one thing so I will post this as a caution. I don't think I've read it before, so I may be the only dummy who has done it. Glue inside the tube close to the bottom next to the nib/front section just doesn't work. It binds the bottom of the transmission and the pen will not work. I made two, and one worked fine and the other one would not twist...I found the culprit, glue inside the end of the tube. Cleaned it out and the pen worked just fine. Now for another siesta, err I mean sierra.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Ron Mc

The blue speckly stuff did come from the table at Bubbasville. I've been sitting on it for a while due to my tendency to use only wood in my pens, but today it was the only blue I could find. I like the way it came out. I also wasn't sure about the compatibility between wood and the blue speckly stuff but it all glued up great and wasn't much of an issue during turning or finishing.
Your absolutely right about glue in the tubes with the Sierra pens. I've had a couple that didn't twist and I had to clean the tubes out.
Enjoy your nap!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Very excellent. I've been trying to buy r/w/b blanks from Sawmill Creek/Freedom Pen folks but they never reply and some e-mails bounce.

Frank, I doubt very much if Freedom Pens will sell you the corian for you own use.... it was donated specifically for use in the Freedom Pen project and they expect all the materials to be used only for those pens...

BigRob777

Ron,
As usual, your pen is gorgeous. Nice colors too. I love curly maple mixed with bloodwood. I hear so many people say that the red bleeds (non pun intended) into the maple, but yours doesn't. I want to do a similar, though much less complex pen soon. Thin Blackwood and purpleheart in a curly maple blank. Ahhhh......some day.
Rob

Ron Mc

Very interesting idea Rob. Run with it. Just picture it in your mind and create it. Who knows if you don't mind I may try the color combination and call it my BigRob design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom