Patriotic Power

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from td

td

Banned
Just started casting and having a blast!
tn_Patriotic%20Power.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spitfire

I like that, looks good!. I too just started casting, mind sharing how you got the red and blue to come out that way, almost like fireworks.

td

Banned
I actually had one pen turning buddy ask me how I got the tiny explosions.... Truth is they're pom pom's. I was afraid the heat from the chemical reaction would melt the mylar but it didn't. There are white poms in there too. I painted the tubes silver.

bruce119

Very nice did the resin fill in all through the poms. You say they were mylar So I guess they wouldn't asorbe the resin. Any problems with air pockets they sure look nice. Is'nt casting fun endless possibalites. Thanks for sharing.

Good Job
Bruce

td

Banned
I have cast this with both (separately) epoxy resin and PR. The poms were fuzzy yarn with mylar sprigs. The epoxy resin penetrated the yarn a little better than the polyester. The poly was eaiser to get a good finish on. I used vibration with very little air pocket problem with the poms. Not so lucky with other media. I am in the process of setting up a pressure pot. But in the meantime, YES!! CASTING IS FUN!! Don't have time or money to cast all the possibilities. Thanks for your input.

redfishsc

Man, that's awesome. I like it a LOT! Try the same thing on something like a cigar pen with a fatter barrel.

Originally posted by bruce119

Very nice did the resin fill in all through the poms. You say they were mylar So I guess they wouldn't asorbe the resin. Any problems with air pockets they sure look nice. Is'nt casting fun endless possibalites. Thanks for sharing.

Good Job
Bruce

You can avoid the "bubble" problem by dipping the item (poms in this case) in uncatalyzed resin real well, and then place them in the catalyzed stuff carefully. Not a guarantee of 100% bubblefree, but a lot more effective than just whirring them around in the resin that you're gonna cast them in.

The reason you use uncatalyzed resin to soak them is b/c you'll make some bubbles in the resin in the process, and you don't want it to harden that way. Wet'em, pull'em out, and toss in the casting. The heat from the catalyzed stuff will make the fresh resin around the poms harden fine.

td

Banned
That's great info.... does that also work when embedding decorated tubes? I've been using closed cell foam plugs to close the tubes and thought the bubble problem may be related.

Top Bottom