A Patriot from the Recent CSUSA Group Buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

This was a quickie. I never made one before, very simple. Thanks Bobby for organizing the GB! This is black chrome with a Chocoberry blank. My friend likes black and beige - as close as I can get. It's a gift; I am sure he won't complain. His wife is getting a yellowish-one. I am still TBCs and loving it! I use a mandrel for MM double barrel kits.

Attachments

• Patriot Chocoberry.jpg
    Patriot Chocoberry.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 305
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Thank you! I just ran down to my shop and turned and sanded the yellow one. I don't drink or smoke. At 50, I am a pen turning addict! Come on down to Alpharetta and let's turn a few together! I just made my friend who lives in Dawsonville a 30 cal. I will pm you my number.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Great looking pen Tony, I really like the colors in that blank. Your fit and finish looks very good. When do we see the yellow one.

TonyL

I have 2 story home with a finished basement (so basically 3 stories with tall ceilings) . I learned about 7 weeks ago, when I started this hobby, that my shop is two stories below out bedroom. I been living here 7 years and never new that until my "saint of a wife" ask me when I was going to stop playing around down there (at 2am). I thought my shop was on the other side of the house. She just had hand surgery yesterday and is sleeping, but I will go down stairs and take a picture. Be right back.

TonyL

The yellow one

I dry sanded it to 600. No MM yet. You can't see the detail from the pic.

Attachments

• Yellow.jpg
    Yellow.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 172

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Tony, from what I can see it looks good. We can wait until you finish it later today after your wife gets some rest. I hope this post wasn't to load. I hope you wife has a quick recovery.

TonyL

No...I turned and I sanded it almost two hours ago. I just ran downstairs to take the picture. Lori is fine... Thanks for expressing your concern. She is really an angel. I also took her shopping earlier because she can't drive yet. I read scripture in Kohl's outdoor furniture department while she shopped. Relaxed, and serve Lori and God.

OZturner

Nice Pen, Tony.
As I was looking through your current posts.
I had to ask myself, isn't this the Tony. who only a few months ago, was having all sorts of trouble, with radial scratches/grooves in his sanded Blanks.
And the Tony who many thought may have been exerting too much force on the paper and bending or flexing the mandrel, and to whom they suggested to Turn Between Centres.
I am certain it is, and I am pleasantly delighted with the progress you have made.
I have been reading your posts, and am so delighted at your acheivements.
I hope you kept some of your earlier pens, so that you can see just where you are, and where you have come from.
Keep up the Great Work.
Brian.

TonyL

Thank you Brian. And thanks to the patience and selfless sharing of the members' expertise (helping me to progress). This is a remarkable group of people! Interesting, I fixed many of my starter-pens by disassembling, TBC, and re-finishing (the way I stumbled upon). Thanks again for the acknowledgement and support.

TonyL

Yellow pen sort-of

Well here is the yellow pen, but not the one pictured earlier. I had trouble with transmission and cracked the acrylic in my vice (with magnetic rubber jaws). So I made this one a few minutes ago. I am pleased and Lori never heard me last night.:)

Attachments

• Yellow Patriot.jpg
    Yellow Patriot.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 139

cestmoi

Tony, all this talk of late night turning begs the question.... when do you sleep? Sounds like you are a convert to TBC. I may have to try it soon.

TonyL

I sleep a few hours at night; I take a brief (30 min) nap after noon. My turning improved 10 fold (exaggerating, but it helped a lot) when I started TBC. It did take a few ties to get used to the calibers, but I can only see using a mandrel for sanding and polishing on a double barrel kit...otherwise it stays on the TBC. How are you making out with the techniques that we discussed? PM if you want. Have a good one!

Top Bottom