Patinated Copper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ed McDonnell

Ed McDonnell

This was originally planned to be a cast carved core pen. Unfortunately, I botched the carving. Rather than strip the blanks to the brass and starting over, I decided to try something I've had on my to do list. I coated the ruined cores in atomized copper, with a little iron mixed in. Then I hit it with acid and let the patina develop. Cast the patinated core in clear PR and turned to finish.

Not perfect, but maybe has some potential. The pen needs light to really show off the colors / textures. In shade, the pen looks like dark stone. Also in a spot where the patina texture was a little too high, it broke the surface on the clear PR during turning. It's solid, but it doesn't polish to a shine like the PR. That spot is hiding behind the clip on this prototype.

What do you think?

Ed

Attachments

• Patinated Copper_1477 Web.jpg
    Patinated Copper_1477 Web.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 413
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I really like the look of this and have been trying to figure out how to do it for quite a while but have not been successful. Can you explain a few things?

How do you apply atomized copper?
What is a Cast Carved Core pen?

I agoing to now go google atomized copper.

Ed McDonnell

Hi Haynie - Here's an example I posted of a Cast Carved Core Pen.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/quilted-slims-94832/

Atomized metals (all sorts) are available from good artist supply shops. Particularly ones that cater to sculptors. Mixed with an acrylic binder, they are suitable for creating patinated metallic finishes. If you don't want to deal with the hassle (and hazards) of mixing your own, you can buy reactive metal coatings and patina solutions (various combinations of acids) that are ready to go.

Take all the necessary safety precautions to protect yourself and your equipment if you give it a try.

Go to youtube and search "patina metal coating" to see a lot of videos on working with reactive metal coatings and patinas.

Ed

gbpens

Interesting pattern comes out as one of a kind. Did you have to neutralize any left over acid or was it consumed reacting with the metal?

Ed McDonnell

Hi gbpens - You just lightly mist on the patina solution so I wouldn't expect there to be any excess acid once the patina is dry. Too little patina solution is better than too much. I've never bothered with neutralizing. Once the patina is protected from air exposure by some type of clear coat it is very stable. I've mostly used this finish treatment on large turnings where I used a water based spray finish to clear coat. This is the first time I've used PR as a clear coat over a patina. Time will tell how it holds up.

Ed

BSea

I really like the pen. Since you say the exposed texture doesn't shine as much as the rest of the pen, I'm wondering if you might want to do a satin finish to see if it looks more like the natural finish. Just curious to see what it might look like.

seriph

This was originally planned to be a cast carved core pen. Unfortunately, I botched the carving. Rather than strip the blanks to the brass and starting over, I decided to try something I've had on my to do list. I coated the ruined cores in atomized copper, with a little iron mixed in. Then I hit it with acid and let the patina develop. Cast the patinated core in clear PR and turned to finish.

What do you think?

Ed

NOVICE ALERT! NOVICE ALERT!

This is really something special and a similar process to what I use when making various reproduction items in my renovation work. I usually only 'age' my brass and copper fittings down to appear old and well used .... you have taken this to 'the next level' and the result is spectacular in my opinion.

As soon as I begin making pens of my own, this will definitely be part of my process, especially on the pen's "metals." ---sorry, not sure at this stage what they're called, but the bits bought in pen kits.

This is what I mean ... this is a set I made for our home in 2009. I made it from old water pipe and scrap brass. BTW the entire entrance set was made from discarded building timber that I found in a skip... we throw away far too much in Australia

Handle6.jpg

Handle3.jpg

Hallway3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom