Patina Copper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marko50

Marko50

I went through a lot of material trying to figure out how to get a nice patina effect on copper. It's still a work in progress, but here is the result of lots and lots of trial and error. The kit is a simple Jr. Gent II Fountain Pen, the material is embossed copper with a patina finish. C&C is always welcomed!:wink:

Attachments

• DSC_5041.jpg
    DSC_5041.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC_5044.jpg
    DSC_5044.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC_5045.jpg
    DSC_5045.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC_5046.jpg
    DSC_5046.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 246
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Beautiful pen, very well done. It's a coincidence but I have been trying to develop a good patina solution for the past two weeks. I am going in a different direction pen wise. My best effort so far is vinegar, salt and miracle grow.

That looks great... A neat idea, my worry would be the patina progressing. Even though it's sealed in, or is there a way to stop the process before casting without ruining the blanks?

Skie_M

Even if it's real patina on the copper, it shouldn't progress ... needs oxygen, and it's in a sealed environment.

TurtleTom

Since man first learned to pour bronze someone has been trying to patinae the copper in it. Verdigris is the name of patinae and the name of the process. Hundreds of years. Many successful formulas have been manufactured to help owners hurry along natures little paint brush.

Marko50

I used a new product that CSUSA is selling now. It's called "Modern Masters Metal Effects Aging Solutions. (say that real fast, ten times!) Here is the link

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/51/6413/Modern-Masters-Metal-Effects-Aging-Solution?term=patina

So here's the deal. I haven't tried using the paint. I just wrap a tube in copper and then just spray a little of the Green Pantina, let it dry, hit it with some of the brown color and then ht it with some of the blue pantina. It takes about 15-30 minutes to dry. It's great fun and you can get all kinds of patterns! There is an iron base paint that you can buy with it, but it's not needed if you're using real copper wrapped around your chosen pen tube.

Give it a try. It's a lot of fun!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This looks really cool! For me... I would like to see more of the copper and less of the green - but not wait 20 yrs!

This is a nice combination. :)

TurtleTom

I went through a lot of material trying to figure out how to get a nice patina effect on copper. It's still a work in progress, but here is the result of lots and lots of trial and error. The kit is a simple Jr. Gent II Fountain Pen, the material is embossed copper with a patina finish. C&C is always welcomed!:wink:

I've never seen a source for embossed copper, do you emboss yourself?

ossaguy

Wow,that looks neat!

It think it would be cool to use a blank like that on one of the new Statue of Liberty pens kits.

Steve

Reactions: ELA

Ted Sachs

I've done some patina jobs on some of my electronic cigarettes that are made of copper. I used some ammonia on a paper towel in a tupperware container with the mod in there with it suspended in the middle of the container. Then we would sprinkle sea salt on the mod and then mist it with the ammonia in a squirt bottle. We'd put the lid on and come back and rotate the thing ninety degrees every hour or so. I usually left mine in over night getting up to just mist it every hour and rotate it. I'd add salt occasionally if it needed it. Here's a pic of it after the patina job.

Ted Sachs

That would be me, and I'm pleasantly surprised that you recognize the AJ Slick. That is one sweet flying plane.

Ted Sachs

Yea, I forgot about it being on the wing. I had three of those of various sizes and loved every one of them. I'm not allowed out in the sun anymore so I ended up selling them and my helicopters.

Last edited:

TurtleTom

My first "airplane", eighth grade, paper cigar box, .029 engine and propeller, 4 wheels, tiny wings to keep it on the parking lot. LOL. I thought it great fun on a string.

Krash

Beautiful and very unique. I really really like it!

Great result from an original idea and process. Congrats!!!!

Marko50

I've never seen a source for embossed copper, do you emboss yourself?

Yes Thomas, I emboss the copper myself...it's not too difficult and adds an interesting texture!:)

Marko50

Nope

Interesting look. Did you use the patina bible (the book) for this project?

Ed, It was strictly a freehand technique. I didn't know any such book even existed! Perhaps that could have saved me a lot of wasted material and frustrations!?

Marko50

The latest and greatest

I used a new product that CSUSA is selling now. It's called "Modern Masters Metal Effects Aging Solutions. (say that real fast, ten times!) Here is the link

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/51/6413/Modern-Masters-Metal-Effects-Aging-Solution?term=patina

So here's the deal. I haven't tried using the paint. I just wrap a tube in copper and then just spray a little of the Green Pantina, let it dry, hit it with some of the brown color and then hit it with some of the blue pantina. It takes about 15-30 minutes to dry. It's great fun and you can get all kinds of patterns! There is an iron base paint that you can buy with it, but it's not needed if you're using real copper wrapped around your chosen pen tube.

Give it a try. It's a lot of fun!

I tried using the paint from CSUSA and got some mixed results.With the metallic paint (you can choose between a copper base, a iron base or a bronz base) You need to take precautions not to put it on too thick. Having said that, it's just as easy to use some copper tape wrapped around the tube. Oh, and one more thing; you can speed along the process by using a blow dryer to dry the tube. It will cut your wait time well past in half, and that allows you to put on multiple layers of patina colors on your tube.

...one more thing; you have to spray on (or dab on) the actual color of patina you want while the paint is still wet.

Top Bottom