Part of the Christmas orders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from C_Ludwigsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Ludwigsen

I really have been busy turning Christmas orders. I just haven't had much time to break out the camera lately. With this batch, I'm about 2/3 finished but have 2 bowls to complete as well. I hope I can post the Vic VL100 that these orders are paying for before Christmas.

The bottle stopper is the first I've made and will have a matching Wine Pedestal (large coaster) later this week. The pens from the outside to the inside are (1) Rosewood slimline set, (2) Walnut Burl Comfort(less) set, (3) Red Mallee Burl Designer set, and a Brown Mallee Burl Classic Rollerbal.

All are CA/BLO finished and topped with Lou's famous pre-release wax formula. I *will* be buying some when he makes the announcement.

Hope you like them and I would appreciate your thoughts...

P412.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C_Ludwigsen

Thanks guys. The wood to the left and right of center is the Red Mallee Burl. MAN I love the look of that wood. But it does prove difficult to turn sometimes.

Thanks Ed, for the website comment. It looked pretty ratty until I tookover the Mid South Woodturner's Guild site. Then I figured I better get it in shape.

Take care, y'all
Chuck

PenWorks

Busy , Busy, Busy......glad you came up for air to take the picture. Very nice work Chuck. You must be starting to dream about that new lathe getting so close to the end of that order. Way to go!

dougle40

Thanks Chuck ,
I've been tempted to buy some of the Red Malee Burl from Burls Down Under but this is the first time I've seen a piece of it turned . Guess I'll have to get an order in !!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I don't know the cost comparison, but I do know that Lee Tannenbaum at http://www.leetreewoodworks.com/ just received a three-ton shipment of Australian burls this past week. My guess is that shipping and delivery times would be a bit bettere with a North American supplier...or you might just want to shop and compare. I have ordered on three separate occasions from Lee and his woods are exquisite. [8D]
Originally posted by dougle40
<br />Thanks Chuck ,
I've been tempted to buy some of the Red Malee Burl from Burls Down Under but this is the first time I've seen a piece of it turned . Guess I'll have to get an order in !!!

dougle40

Lou,
Interesting , I just compared the 2 (Lee Tree and Burls Down Under) and found that the only wood that they both have in common is Coolibah . Lee Tree's price is $2.50 per blank and Burls is $1.75 , $.75 a blank difference .
The interesting thing to find out is what the difference in shipping and handling is from each !
I'll have to look into that too .

melogic

Very nice display of craftsmanship Chuck, here and on the web site. I really like the very professional web site. It flows nicely. I was admiring your bowls and platters. I just turned my first cup type turning. It was my first attempt at any form of free spinning and hollowing. I did ok and learned a lot quick. I explained to my wife that if we could do this with a cup size blank, it should be a little easier with a bowl size blank. I just need a little more knowledge on how to get started from a square blank and get it to hold in my lathe jaws. I'm taking a bowl turning class at Woodcraft in February. Sorry to be so long winded! Didn't mean to take up so much of your topic.

C_Ludwigsen

Thats cool, Mark. I appreciate you visiting the site [:D].

Thats great that you are taking a Woodcraft class. The nearest Woodcraft to me is almost 3 hours. But some of the folks in our turning club are fantastic and very helpful.

Here are the websites to a couple folks who have very informative tutorials on roughing a bowl...

Bill Grumbine - Roughing a bowl blank on the lathe

Darrell Feltmate - Roughing a Bowl

Hope this encourages you to go for it!

olsenla

Chuck,

Very nice work. You had a lot better luck with the brown mallee than I have. I saved the pen--but just barely. It kept chipping out on the ends. Again, very nice indeed.

Larry

melogic

Chuck,
Thanks a lot. I was out in the shop trying out a small candy dish just a few moments ago. I had it ready to final sand and finish, when the side blew out. My wife says I could still make it into something, but I left it for another day. I will post pictures when I have my first bowl-like something turned. Thanks again for the links!

dougle40

Lou ,
I got a reply from Burls Down Under and his shipping charges are as follows -
$7.70 - Ecomomy Air Post --- Delivery , about 2 weeks
$10.00 - Standard Air Post -- Delivery , 5 days .
A little bit more that Lee Woods $5.75 charges .

wayneis

Doug, What does their delievery cover, how many blanks? I'm thinking that if they have some different kinds that I couldn't get easliy here then ten bucks isn't a big deal if it covers enough blanks.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom