Parker In a Slimline (alternate approach)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

See this thread in Penturning for background, credits, motivations, inspiration, and related ideas...

I used a Trimline, but I think a Simline would be simliar...

1) Drill out nosecone with #38 bit
2) Drill out centerband with H bit
3) Cut one tube into a 39mm and a 12mm portion
4) Scrounge a spring and parker refill from bag o' parts

Gluing... the two smaller tubes were no problem, but the big one was tricky, as there isn't that much to anchor into the lower body... felt like it was kinda hard to get it good and true. In hindsight, I think I'd have been better to use my mandrel when gluing this larger tube to make sure it was good and straight.

Turning was pretty straight forward, though couldn't use a bushing on the lower body center band due to tube. I typically use calipers anyway, so no biggie.

Assembly - it was tricky to get the transmission in the right spot obviously. Pushing it in was pretty easy, but backwards adjustment was a little harder.

Fit - had to ream out the brass tube that receives the transmission, but that resulted in a pretty good tight fit. For my tastes, there's too much wobble in the lower part of the upper body. Next time I'd shoot for a smaller drill bit than 7mm to try and get closer to a friction fit there.

Operation - deployment is actually pretty smooth. Some of my Parker refills (the ones included in kits) fit into the slimline transmission just fine, and some are a bit too big (the 9000 series nicer ones). Since the end of the Parker refill is plastic, it could obviously be trimmed/sanded, I suppose.

If not for the wobble and perhaps minor alignment related to the gluing of the long tube... I wouldn't hesitate to give this away as a freebie to someone. But given those issues, I think it stays in house.

Attachments

• ParkerInASlimlineDesign.jpg
    ParkerInASlimlineDesign.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 174
  • ParkerInASlimline-8939.jpg
    ParkerInASlimline-8939.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 159
  • ParkerInASlimline-8940.jpg
    ParkerInASlimline-8940.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 144
  • ParkerInASlimline-8941.jpg
    ParkerInASlimline-8941.jpg