paralam pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

Poor man's zebrawood? Found a small stick of paralam at work at the shipping skid scrap. Fir plys what to delaminate as it gets really thin, but held them back with thin CA. Looks like you want to put in some profile to accent the laminations.

Image Insert:
200410914510_paralam.jpg

77.51KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Paralam is a structural beam that is made like plywood, but all the plies run the same direction. They are thick plies like the stuff used in CDX plywood, but few voids. It needs to have fairly solid plies to keep the structural rating. You can get it at any of the building centers (BORGS), but talking them out of 1 or 2 feet might be a problem. I suppose they might sell you a 6 foot piece though, it runs less than $2 a foot. And that will be a boatload of blanks! Next one will be dyed.

ilikewood

Hey Richard, that looks pretty neat. I never thought of using paralem before.

BTW - If you need Zebrawood, I have it coming out of my ears. I'll trade for pretty much anything (don't need to be a poorman [:)])

jwoodwright

Wow! We had a Guest Visitor at our Club. He showed some of this wood. Each layer was solid wood and they make 4'x10' sheets and gang rip it to 6" wide. Each 6" length has a breaking strength of like 1.2 million lbs. I was impressed. They want to bring in a Mill and produce this, using 6" - 8" trees. State of Alaska was Unimpressed.[:(]The scraps would be great...

paleydp

Check out the picture at the bottom of this page on the woodchuckers site http://www.woodchuckers.com/WORKS.HTM It shows a piece of paralam and a completed bowl. I picked up a 4-foot section of paralam at a construction site while in Monterey last month. All I've done with it so far is cut it and drill it. Looks a lot like my plywood pens. You beat me to turning it. Nice pen!

Docsmith45

Parallam is a cool material to work with. The company my brother works for makes electrical power transmission stuctures and they use a lot of it. They also make some bridges from it. Go to

http://www.hughesbros.com/Brdglist.html

to see some bridges made from it. He has given me some small chunks and I've made some pens and knife handles from it. It's always fun to try odd materials.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom