"Paper" Tortoise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

wood-of-1kind

These are a couple of PR (Silmar 41) blanks that I cast in the summer months. The material cast is honeycomb cardboard (corrugated) that is used as a packaging cushion to prevent goods from being damaged in transit. I thought that the geometric pattern (repeated) might be interesting to cast. Somehow the green version has a similarity to tortoise shell and hence the tittle name here. It was an interesting experiment that I may revisit and add some new wrinkles once the weather turns for the better up here.

2_P1010011.jpg

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 239
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 206
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

I like the idea. Nice looking pens from what I can see. Pictures are a bit dark to make out much of the pattern.

akbar24601

Gary is right about the pics, from what we can see it does look pretty neat. Are you able to cast like an Amber or beer bottle brown? That might look pretty cool for the tortoise shell as well.

Skye

Well, the cool thing is that I bet the cardboard would take dye really well, then cast it in another color.

S

spiritwoodturner

It's a really cool and creative idea, but like the rest, I can't really pick up the pattern. But it sounds like the possibilities are endless!

Dale

wood-of-1kind

It's a really cool and creative idea, but like the rest, I can't really pick up the pattern. But it sounds like the possibilities are endless!

Dale

I will try to post a better quality picture than the current set. I lose 'details' with the small thumbnails. The pattern is somewhat lost in the pictures since the hunter green is really a dark colour. I've made myself a note to go easy on the coloured solvent with the next batch that I cast.

The patterns in the corrugated do vary and getting different configurations in colour makes for some nice changes with these types of blanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom