Paper Inlay Experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nilsatcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilsatcraft

I thought about doing another inlay on a darker wood with something pretty white so I decided to try paper. It's free and readily available so I inlaid this pen with the backing from a package of drill bits- it's a thick, heavier than cardstock type paper and had print on it and everything. I inlaid all the pieces using the bandsaw and some glue and then I saturated the paper with thin glue. It was a fun experiment but I think I'll use my pen to write on paper instead of using paper in my pens. The lines aren't as crisp as I'd hoped and there are some dark spots that were there before I started sanding. This pen is the Platinum Jr. Gent Version 1 with African Blackwood and American Paper. It was sanded to 3600, finished with spray lacquer and then buffed with Pen Polish. The pics don't show it real well but there's quite a glassy shine on this one. Comments/Criticisms/Sarcasm/Tips welcome.

20063745427_DSCF5685.jpg

20063745442_DSCF5710.jpg

2006374553_DSCF5701.jpg

20063745519_DSCF5709.jpg

20063745531_DSCF5698.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Neat idea, and of course beautiful work, even if it didn't work as well as expected. I bet it would work just fine with some of that plastic stuff that's used for thin 3-ring binders. Poker chips will also work, used in fishing rod grips quite often.

alamocdc

Interesting concept, Nils. White or cream pick guard (the single layer stuff) would have given you the clean lines you were looking for. Great job on the pen BTW.

fuzzydog

Nils; I agree with most of the above comments. However, I looked at the images prior to reading your explaination. My first thought was he's figured out how to obtain a muted design rather than the ones that screem "I'm different" The only image that I had to a second look at was the bottom one showing the dark spots. Think like Tom Edison and figure out how to make it work and don't worry about what didn't.
David

laserturner

Hi Nils,
Great idea. Although it's not as clean as you'd like, looking at the closeup pics it reminds me of something that could be used in a moonscape or constellation. I can see really crisp white stars using your paper effect trailing behind for a shooting star look.
Nice work.

wayneis

Nils you might be on to something here. After reading your explanation and the others responces it got me thinking about a new pen. How about making pens using an importantr document like you did there. Say a couple finely pays off their mortgage and you make a pen or two using a piece of paper from their documents like you did here. I can think of many instances where someone could make a special pen for someone like this.

Wayne

punkinn

I think its an inventive and wonderful idea. A pen made with paper (even to some extent) is too cool. I love the design, and even if you didn't get the results you wanted I think its a beautiful pen!!

Great job thinking outside that darn box! [:)]

Nancy

nilsatcraft

Thanks, everyone. I'll have to give some of these ideas a try. I'm always up for something new and there are a lot of directions you can go with this. I've got a couple other ideas that I'm toying with so I'll have to make some time to get back out to the shop again soon. More than anything, it was a fun experiment.

low_48

I once tried red construction paper on a laminated Christmas ornament. It gave me the effect I wanted, but the construction paper wanted to seperate into layers. The ornament popped open once but I was able to save it. I switched to dyed veneer after that.

Ravenbsp

Way to inovate! Excellent workmanship. You might consider using a bleached white veneer, I've had some success with this material in laminated pens. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom