Panache Pen in Brown Mallee Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ogg

Ogg

This is a Panache pen that I had the kit sitting around for a couple years in storage. I had purchased it from Rockler sometime back.

I purchased a mix of about 15 Brown and Red Mallee burl's similar to the one that the pen is sitting on and this came from the cuttings of one of the burl's. The rings are Black Gaboon Ebony and Pink Ivory.

The Brown Mallee had that burl in it that I was afraid I was going to lose, but it held fast. When I gave it to my friend She commented that it reminded her of a fetus developing in the womb...The more I look at the pictures I'm starting to think She's right.

The pen was finished with CA and wet sanded to 12,000 grit. I wish I would have been on the site here before I gave it away to my friend as I would have liked to have taken better pictures of it and have learned how from the forums here. I had it sitting on my bandsaw and see that there was some dust specks on the pen.

Anyway this is my first thread so I hope I got everything right....If not please let me know. I did resize the pictures after reading the forum rules.

Attachments

• 100_2096.jpg
    100_2096.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 597
  • 100_2097.jpg
    100_2097.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_2103.jpg
    100_2103.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 511
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Beautiful piece of timber!

Great looking pen too! Wonderfully finished...super shine!

Side note: Ya might want to photo timber and pen seperately, that way one doesn't try to overpower the other......

Scott (I distract myself) B

PenPal

Hi Mark in California,

I feel your pen is sitting on another Burl other than Brown Mallee, I have had and possess and have seen hundreds of tons of Brown Mallee. Thank you for resting the beautiful Burl pen on the burl you used.

Brown Mallee has sharp enough to cut exterior pimply parts where the bark was and takes an incredible power to separate the bark off. If on the other hand the burl under is Red Mallee then honour is satisfied. Sorry Scott I disagree the back of the Burl most suitably blank to rest the pen on.

What a beaut happenstance the swirl detail in your pen has exposed those incredible colours , detail of Brown Mallee that I both love and have used for many years. I have a mate not a mile from me who has cut, wholesaled incredible tonnage from far away for so many years.

If I may I enclose a pic of a recent pen rest in Brown Mallee Burl the best burl is in the larger burl and further in the burl itself.

Great first post, exciting pen well presented if you are interested I have an oportunity to show you in pics the two that is Brown and Red Mallee backs if you send me a pm with your web addy. I love all the Mallee Burl but find the Brown far and away the most stable to work with.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0007-001.jpg
    DSCF0007-001.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 767

Ogg

Beautiful piece of timber!

Great looking pen too! Wonderfully finished...super shine!

Side note: Ya might want to photo timber and pen seperately, that way one doesn't try to overpower the other......

Scott (I distract myself) B
Hey thanks....I'm rather new to taking pictures of pens and my friend wanted to see what it was made from.

I've been pouring over all the information here on taking pictures and have learned a lot about setting up a lighting system for taking them....Great stuff!!!

The pen is finished in CA. I was using a medium thickness CA and probably put 10 coats on. It was amazing the depth that it has.

Ogg

Hi Mark in California,

I feel your pen is sitting on another Burl other than Brown Mallee, I have had and possess and have seen hundreds of tons of Brown Mallee. Thank you for resting the beautiful Burl pen on the burl you used.

Brown Mallee has sharp enough to cut exterior pimply parts where the bark was and takes an incredible power to separate the bark off. If on the other hand the burl under is Red Mallee then honour is satisfied. Sorry Scott I disagree the back of the Burl most suitably blank to rest the pen on.

What a beaut happenstance the swirl detail in your pen has exposed those incredible colours , detail of Brown Mallee that I both love and have used for many years. I have a mate not a mile from me who has cut, wholesaled incredible tonnage from far away for so many years.

If I may I enclose a pic of a recent pen rest in Brown Mallee Burl the best burl is in the larger burl and further in the burl itself.

Great first post, exciting pen well presented if you are interested I have an oportunity to show you in pics the two that is Brown and Red Mallee backs if you send me a pm with your web addy. I love all the Mallee Burl but find the Brown far and away the most stable to work with.

Kind regards Peter.
Hi Peter....Thanks for the information. The burls are marked as brown and red mallee, but I've had suppliers make mistakes before. I purchased some Ebony once only to get a box of African Blackwood.....I guess they must have figured it was black thus Ebony. I wasn't complaining though as I love working with African Blackwood.

I'll see if I can pull the burls and take some pictures of them...I'm thinking that the one I took the picture with the pen on it was actually one of them marked Red Mallee....but of course now I have to question what it really is. So anyway let me see what I can do about taking some pictures for you as I would really like to know what it is that I'm really using...Thanks!

BSea

That's not my favorite pen kit, but you did a great job. I love the use of the ebony & pink Ivory. And red or brown mallee . . . . . . who cares. They are both winners in my book, and so is your pen.

Top Bottom