Palm Root Resin Hybrid using Flap Discs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgsean

tgsean

This is a blank I bought from George (Robutacion). When I first tried turning this blank, it was so hard, but I took the pains and did it and the outcome was a beautiful unique pen. So I asked George how could I do this better and he suggested the flap disc system. I checked out the video, used it and viola!! It worked beautifully. Tough materials needs an out of the box approach, and if you get the finish why not! Let me know what you think. Its a Roman Harvest Fountain pen, finished to 12000 grit micromesh, and CA finish.

Attachments

• Palm Root IAP.jpg
    Palm Root IAP.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Palm Root IAP 1.jpg
    Palm Root IAP 1.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 308
  • Palm Root IAP 2.jpg
    Palm Root IAP 2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi Sean, the first and last pics are the same, I was looking for one pic that would show the top half but the clip is in a way so, if you have one with the clip rotated the other way, I would like to see it, please, Sorry about that.

You done a very good job with that pen you decision to use medium to high end kits on these sort of blanks, do add tremendously to the final result, even though, I keep saying that, you put a bad blank of the best kit and you aren't going to get as good results as good blank on a bad kit, getting the best of both worlds, the results are guaranteed...!:wink::biggrin:

There is one batch of Palm root blanks that I done for the first time like that, stabilised blue and cast blue, I realise recently that I never made a sample out on one of them, I missed the opportunity as the last lot is still here but is sold and will be posted tomorrow morning as today was public holiday is Australia, "Australia Day" so I have to wait for tomorrow, Tuesday the 28/1/14.

I'm very excited about seen one of those blanks put in a decent kit with a deep gloss on it, it should be just out of this world.

I can tell you all that, this Palm Root stuff is extremely hard to deal with and is a tools destroyer to be removed from the underground and to process afterwards, I don't know if I will have the physical capabilities to endure the removal of another root, if I can find one, I may have to pay good money to have it excavated mechanically, if not, I can say that will be one of the materials that I will miss immensely not to have to make blanks with.

Putting apart all the work involved, one only have to look closely to the material after finished to realised, they are one of the most intricate and natural products nature provide us with, I do like it very much...!

Cheers
George

tgsean

Close up of the palm root

George here is the close up of the palm root on the other side, sorry taken with my iphone, hope its ok.

Attachments

• Palm Root close 1.jpg
    Palm Root close 1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 188

tgsean

Some more close ups

Just to show you the effect, still with an i phone lazy to set up the camera, and its almost 11pm!

Attachments

• PR 1.jpg
    PR 1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 153
  • PR2.jpg
    PR2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 169
  • PR4.jpg
    PR4.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 147

robutacion

Mate, you didn't have to get it done tonight, it was most OK for you to to take that pic tomorrow or the day after, no hurry, it was a simple request as I thought you had already one from your original set.

I appreciate your efforts, and for being late, is now 1:45am, I'm tired and I'm going to bed...!

George

Marko50

Excellent job Sean! Gold nuggets aren't the only precious commodity being pulled out of the ground in Australia! Wow!

OZturner

Sean, That is a Beautiful Pen,
You unselfishly gave George (robutacion) his rightful share of the Glory.
That is a Majestic Blank the Colours in the Cap, and the Texture in the Body are Incredible.
Your Fit, Finish and Selection of the Roman Harvest was a Superb.
The use of the Flap Wheel to bring the Blank down to round is essential with these hard, tough and fibreous materials.
Saves a lot of Heart Aches, and Blow Outs.
Congratulations to you Both.
Brian.

Top Bottom