Pallet Pine Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

this is from a chunk of pine from a pallet, trimed with ipe from a bar floor
It was an expierment in making a finial. I plan on re-doing this pen to get a better fit between the upper and lower barrels
finish is ca/blo and laquer. Thanks foor looking and happy 4th of July

2008741919_pine.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Harold, I like the shorter (at least it looks shorter) lower barrel, I also like the center band section seeming to be reversed from a Euro,(chamfered between the lower and upper barrels) and the chamfering of the finial to top barrel, This actually has the look of a hand made pen, Exact turning is a good thing but, having a pen with out dead on joint areas gets a bit stale, having been a machinist, I appreciate exactness in fitting, but after seeing so many 0 tolerance pens, with every transition between barrels and finials perfect, I like the heck out of your pen, isn't Ipe fun to turn:D great work all the way around.[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]

workinforwood

I might have preferred the longer section to be the bottom, or maybe not, but otherwise it's very stunning. That's a great looking piece of wood, nice contrasts with your banding and the finial looks super! You did a super job.

redfishsc

At first glance I'm thinking "he put the center band on the wrong blank" but after looking at it more, I like it just the way you have it.

What is the finish? It looks to have a very nice, satin sheen to it.

splinter99

Ok, I turned it down a lttle more to get a better fit between the upper and lower barrels, also thinned down the centerband a little
Finish is ca/blo followed by turners majic laquer based friction polish
I think it will make a nice wotk pen

12-3_editedMedium.jpg

JohnU

Turned out very nice Harold. In my area they use a lot of maple, oak, poplar and pine for pallets (lots of spalted too). Ive gotten some real nice stock from old crates and pallets. Nice find.

I have to say, I liked it the first way better, sorry. I also thought it was a mix up on the euro center band. Now the pen looks a bit over turned on the nib and clip end. I'll race you to the lathe to remake the first one over again. Really,
I'm gonna make a couple like that, thanks for the idea.

Top Bottom