Pale Moon Ebony Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Here is a Jr Statesman in pale moon ebony that I finished tonight. It's my first time to turn this wood. The blank didn't look like much, but then it finished pretty decent. Any comments or suggestions (+ or -) appreciated. Thanks for looking.

200522221250_MoonEbony3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Gary,
Nice job, the ood looks greate, and that's a very pretty kit! The blanks look a smidge (yes, that's the technical term) thick/proud to me; is that the case? May be an issue with the busings you used; I noticed it with some of mine, too.

How do you think the wood would have looked in gold instead?

Again, great job!

PenWorks

+++++++++++++++++++++++ I'm not sure if Pale Moon Ebony and stripped Ebony is the same, but my stripped Ebony looks just like that. Wonderful job of the pen and a stellar photo. [:p]

At the show, there was a proffessional pen photographer (forgot his name) but his photo set up was, two blue photo lamps, one on each side of a lamp shade, and his camera was on a photo document stand. If you look in Waynes album, it was just like it, nothing fancy, he did have a black cardboard covering the top of the lamp shade with a rectangle cut out for the lens to look thru.

I'm sure he could not top this photo [8D]

Gary

Thanks, guys.

Jim...the wood is flush. I mic the fittings rather than rely on the bushings, and I don't like for them to end up proud. I think the gold would look ok too. I picked the black titanium because of the black streaking in the wood. Also, I'm not real keen on the gold centerband on the Jr. Statesman. It just looks kind of cheap to me. That's always been a disappointment to me with regards to this kit. It's my favorite kit, but I think CSUSA could have done a better job on the gold plating, especially with what they are charging for the kit.

Gary

Thanks Anthony, I've gone back to using a light tent myself. I use two photoflood lamps, one overhead and one from the side. I shoot from the front of the tent at different angles for variation. I'm still playing with it

Darley

Originally posted by Gary
<br />Thanks, guys.

Jim...the wood is flush. I mic the fittings rather than rely on the bushings, and I don't like for them to end up proud. I think the gold would look ok too. I picked the black titanium because of the black streaking in the wood. Also, I'm not real keen on the gold centerband on the Jr. Statesman. It just looks kind of cheap to me. That's always been a disappointment to me with regards to this kit. It's my favorite kit, but I think CSUSA could have done a better job on the gold plating, especially with what they are charging for the kit.

Gary your pen is very nice, that will be my next move to do a Jr. Statesman.

Serge

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful, Gary. As for the "Pale Moon" ebony, that was a trademark for an out-of-company business for their black and white ebony.

Gary

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Beautiful, Gary. As for the "Pale Moon" ebony, that was a trademark for an out-of-company business for their black and white ebony.

Thanks, Lou...that is interesting. I got this blank as a freebie from Blankity-Blanks, and that's how it was labeled. So what is the species involved? I'm familiar with Macassar, Madagascar, Mun and Gaboon Ebony; Pale Moon or Black & White Ebony I'm not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom