A pair of segmented Spartan pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ossaguy

ossaguy

I wanted to try out the new PSI Spartan pen kit,and also try my hand at adding pop can aluminum on both sides of the sandwiched Ebony on one,and Walnut on the other.

They did not turn out as well as I had hoped.I forgot that I was advised to use ca,and used epoxy instead.One one,it blew up twice,so I glued it back together with ca.Pretty scary when it blew,and when I felt how razor sharp the piece of aluminum that was hanging out was,I was glad I didn't get my hand sliced!

Sure shakes your confidence.....

The Ebony one did ok with the epoxy.

So I learned some lessons the hard way,that hopefully I can apply better next time.I didn't have roofing tin,but had some cans handy,so I tried that.It does not show up as well as I had hoped,being so paper-thin.

Anyway,it still was good to try new things.

So I'll use these at my mechanic job.The o-rings are comfy to write with on the nib end,and on the clip end,you can grip it out of your pocket with oily fingers,I'm hoping.I need a good click pen for there.

Thanks for lookin'!
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_7568.JPG
    IMG_7568.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_7543.JPG
    IMG_7543.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_7545.JPG
    IMG_7545.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7567.JPG
    IMG_7567.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_7571.JPG
    IMG_7571.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_7575.JPG
    IMG_7575.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgsean

Those pens are fabulous. Wow really like the way you have combined the timbers and the aluminium inbetween is great. I like the idea of the o rings. The the fiddleback on the timber is great too

OZturner

Great Work Steve,
Your Segmenting is Perfect, you chose the most difficult, the Straight down the Centre.
That will show up any deviation, or out of centre drilling, Well Done
Great Fit and Finish, You survived the trauma and anxiety of the thin Aluminium and Adhesive Saga.
Regarding the O-Rings and Greasy Fingers, I trust they are Synthetic O-rings and not Natural Rubber, or you might end up having a Sticky Time.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Those are both spectacular. I like the thinner pop can for this application better than the thicker roofing.. You got them nicely drilled out too and that is a job on this type of segmenting. Please post those up in the segmenting thread so we can revisit them.. I go back through this thread often and just look at the great works that people have added to this thread..

Segmenting - International Association of Penturners

Those are both spectacular. I like the thinner pop can for this application better than the thicker roofing.. You got them nicely drilled out too and that is a job on this type of segmenting. Please post those up in the segmenting thread so we can revisit them.. I go back through this thread often and just look at the great works that people have added to this thread..

Segmenting - International Association of Penturners

Top Bottom