a pair in the pink

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rifleman1776

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

I know I'm going to get a lot of chaff about this. But, I actually made a couple pens from synthetic material. [:0] Me, the wood, wood and only wood guy. Oh, well. The way it came about was that a lady who serves on a state board with me always has nice pens. I asked her about that and she said pens were a compulision of hers. Her pens match what she wears. I showed her the two I carry and she asked for me to bring more to the next meeting. She specifically asked if I could do something in pink. Well, folks, here is a chance to sell something. For money, to 'h' with principals. [}:)] I said something here about that and shortly afterwards, our own Rootin' Tootin' Texas Johnny Wooten sends me a great care package with six of his cast blanks in pink. Now, I had to do them. Granted, it was a learning experience. I had only done one synthetic before and a long time ago. It was something called 'cello'. Don't remember it's turning qualities, or lack thereof. Found out a couple things. Johnny's blanks are round and I couldn't get perzactly squared in my drill press vice so did the rest on the lathe. First one, on lathe, the bottom blew out. So I had to resort to the technique of drilling a long blank and then cutting to tube length. Having had a previous bad glueing experience with plastics for a non-pen project, I decided to use super-glue (CA for those of you who speak acronymneese :D ). Big misteak. Doesn't hold. Had a tube twist right out and break the blank while I was milling the ends by hand. Have another on the bench now that didn't fill the space with the CA. Trying to dribble into a visible space and fill up. From now on, it's my old reliable epoxy only. Blew another on the lathe by getting careless with the skew tip. Enneyhow, after much cussin' and redoing, I got two nice (I think) pens turned. To finish, I first tried some pads made for acrylics I picked up in a trade that included a set of Micro Mesh (MM). The pads worked sorta OK but didn't give the 'pop' I was looking for. Then I read here yesterday about wet sanding with MM. I decided to try it. Made a big-big difference. Wiping the wet off between grits of MM with a paper towel removed a surprising large amount of gunk and made the beauty of the material come out. The final 'pop' didn't happen until the last two grits, finishing with MM 12000. I then went to high speed and finish buffed with my trusty old hunk of wool blanket. The Europen shown below is for my daughter, at her request. It is in Pearl Satin. The Baron is Nickel Satin and is for my potential customer. Comments, including getting on my case for making synthetic pens, are welcome. And, thanks Johnny for the blanks.:):):)

200512620938_pair%20pink%20pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Folks, I think we have the Razorbacks new colors here! They both look great, Frank! [^] You'd best be careful, though. You might be like me and start doing more of these. I was a wood, wood and wood only guy too. But it didn't last long.

JimGo

Frank,
Making jokes about your material choice, or its color, would be like shootin' fish in a barrel, and I'll restrain myself. Though, I do have to say that I find it odd that you'd choose PR over Pink Ivory, a pale Bloodwood, or Redheart. I think you're just using the order as an excuse to cross over to the Dark Side. (insert sound of Darth Vader breathing)

These came out great, and I will say that your experience isn't surprising given that these are among your first non-wood blanks. PR can be very picky, and unfortunately you've hit on most of the problems. But, at least you got two nice pens out of them!

I use CA all the time in my PR blanks. Next time, make sure you use the appropraite size drill bit (some people go a little bigger, and in my experience that's not as good an idea with PR if you're going to use CA). Clean the inside of the blank with DNA after you have drilled it, and before you glue it. That will get all the dust out (there's a lot of it with PR and other non-woods, even more so than with wood) and help the glue adhere better. Finaly, I recommend thick CA for this stage. Usually, I'm a proponent of thin for just about everything, but for gluing in PR, I think thick works best.

A round-nose scraper works REALLY well for PR and acrylic. Only a tiny portion actually makes contact with the blank at any one time, so it is less likely to catch than a skew.

Were the MM pads colored, or simply shades of grey (I can't believe you even used MM!)? If the grey ones, next time you try a non-wood, try the colored set. They are designed for nonporous materials like PR, acrylic, Corian and the like, and will, IMHO, give you an even better finish. As you learned, be sure to wet sand. Follow the sanding up with some plastic polish, automoible swirl remover, or other really fine grain polish and it will REALLY pop.

Again, nice job, and congrats on the sale!

Rifleman1776

Jim, the skew worked fine for me. The bust was pure-do-dee carelessness, not tool choice. As for drill size, perhaps a SMALLER bit is in order. A blank on my bench now, I can actually see through the space between tube and blank wall. As for the MM, it is what I have. Unlikely I will be a total convert to the dark side. My passion is wood. But variety is OK, if you don't over do it. [:)]

JimGo

Frank, that foot that you stuck over the line to the dark side (what with actually using MM in the first place AND turning non-wood) in having made these pens is dangerous...it will start to pull the rest of you across too! Wait 'till you just REALLY want to make a pen, any pen, some weekend, and you're faced with either turning wood, and having to put seventy-five coats of lacquor so thin that it takes ten coats to equal the thickness of a piece of paper, or turning a piece of PR and simply wet sanding and finishing off with some wool or scratch remover. The PR can be REALLY tempting in those situations! [:)]

I think I hear Johnny and Ed Davidson starting to mix their next batches of "samples" for you already! [:D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br /> Comments, including getting on my case for making synthetic pens, are welcome.

You did yourself proud Frank. Both are beautiful pens. I hope your customer likes it.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by swm6500
<br />I am just stunned and amazed, Frank made two pens out of man made material. Just kidding Frank, they look great.

YOU'RE stunned and amazed? [:0] Think how I feel. [:p][:)] BTW, my daughter was really pleased with hers, the Euro. She really loves it. Makes my trip to the dark side worth while. I guess I'll survive this. But tomorrow, I do two in wood. Wood! You hear me, real wood!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom