a pair of Knotty Mallee pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
These were made for a gentleman in Singapore who is giving them to some friends as wedding gifts. They are two-tone Red Mallee Burl with aluminum flashing from local home improvement store.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

The pens are made from opposite ends of a single extra-long blank. And the knots represent the "tying of the knot". They are the Rhodium Jr Gentleman's kit with a CA finish left at 6000 micromesh for a "soft gloss", to better show off the wood and inlay.

Just FYI, I received the blank as a "throw in" from Nolan. This was a piece he considered "too bad" to charge for. If you haven't already, you definitely should see his 2nds and 1sts!!

GK

Attachments

• Knotty-Mallee-1.jpg
    Knotty-Mallee-1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 551
  • Knotty-Mallee-4.jpg
    Knotty-Mallee-4.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 541
  • Knotty-Mallee-2.jpg
    Knotty-Mallee-2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 545
  • Knotty-Mallee-3.jpg
    Knotty-Mallee-3.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 552
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

outfitter

Beautiful! Would you mind sharing the size of the kerf that you used to make the cuts? What angle did you use? Good work!

nava1uni

Greg,
Those are just stunning. You are quite an artist. I really love seeing your work. I like the finish not being so glossy. It really does allow the wood to be the focus.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the very nice comments!!

Manny, I've tried other knots and I agree that it usually is "too much". But using the same wood in the segments so the only "stand out" is the aluminum, that really works for my tastes.

Outfitter, I used a Freud "ICE" thin-kerf table saw blade. Somehow it started wobbling a bit after my first couple of uses so it now gives a kerf of .104 inches. The kerfs are cut at 37.5 degrees. I can hear you now... "How the heck did he come up with THAT angle?". I started with 45 degrees and thought that was too steep and made the curves too thick compared to the sides; then I tried 30 degrees and it was too "squooshed" together; so I "split the difference". I use a sled and then have blocks cut at the angle I want and I make sure that the block is on both sides of the blade so my pieces are backed on both sides of the cut. 3/4" plywood.

GK

lwalden

Elegant. Very elegant. The simplicity of the Jr Gent hardware doesn't compete for attention, while providing a nice, classic looking foundation. Using the same material for the knots as the rest of the body keeps it understated. Again, very elegant. I'm sure your customer is going to be delighted.

thewishman

Elegant. Very elegant. The simplicity of the Jr Gent hardware doesn't compete for attention, while providing a nice, classic looking foundation. Using the same material for the knots as the rest of the body keeps it understated. Again, very elegant. I'm sure your customer is going to be delighted.

Amen! Quite beautiful.

Top Bottom