Pair of guitar wood Sierra Elegants

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ossaguy

ossaguy

I've never used these guitar neck scraps on a Sierra pen,so I thought I'd give it a go,and here is how they turned out.I've made these stripey pens in about 5 other kits,but not on a Sierra.

One is Walnut/Maple,the other is Koa/Maple.

These might look easy,but man,I tell ya they are a challenge on the pens that don't have much meat on the ends.The wood gets real thin,like you can see thru it,and sometimes just falls apart at the last second.

Also,the stripes want to "Jump out," making it not round.So I have to turn the blank farther,then do almost like a stamp pen ca finish to get them cylindrical,with no highs or lows.

With my skill level,the casualty rate has been pretty high....I'm glad the wood was free scraps...

I like the curl in the woods when the light hits it.

Thanks for lookin'!

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_7727.JPG
    IMG_7727.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7737.JPG
    IMG_7737.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7780.JPG
    IMG_7780.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7766.JPG
    IMG_7766.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7778.JPG
    IMG_7778.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7761.JPG
    IMG_7761.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 138
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Beautiful!, Beautiful!, Steve.
Fantastic segmentation, and choice of Elegant Sierra.
Superb Fit and Finish.
Your description of turning these thin blanks brought back memories, of a manager I once had, that when I complained as to how difficult a job was that he wanted me to do, said "If it was easy, then we wouldn't need you".
This thin wall scenario obviously is designed to sort out the Men from the Boy's.
You've done it Steve, so Stand Tall.
Congratulations,
Brian.

tgsean

Well done Steve, that looks amazing. I've glued up my first segmented pen last night, I can't wait to see how it turns out. You have done such an amazing job.

Top Bottom