A pair of Escarpment Live Oak Sierras (Worthelss Wood II)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a pair of chrome Sierras in Escarpment Live Oak that I have "fixed" with a new, more efficient "Worthless Wood" technique. I will be writing a tutorial for the new process when I have time.

The first is an IAP Edition due to the resin color and the second is a Texas State University Edition. Both have a CA finish, of course.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• LiveOakWWElegantSierra2.jpg
    LiveOakWWElegantSierra2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 463
  • LiveOakWWElegantSierra1.jpg
    LiveOakWWElegantSierra1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 462
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
WOW!! Curtis those are truly spectacular!

BTW, I finally finished one of your double-dyed spalted hackberry Sierra blanks. It turned (pun intended) out well. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

jedgerton

Curtis,

Those are spectacular! I've never seen wood like that (let alone enhanced as such). When we have a chance to talk, I hope you can help me overcome whatever is going on with my CA finish attempts.

John

Druid

Excellent Curtis, look forward to the tutorial. I'm begginning to experiment with a high pressure dental pick on worthless wodd, have you tried that yet? Your insight or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

cnirenberg

Curtis,
Those are some awesome pens. The contast is more eye catching than the cactus. I can't wait to read your tutorial, you have got my casting jones going again...just when I thought I was cured.
Thanks.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Holy Cow curtis - That has to be among the coolest things I've ever seen.

I'm not setup for casting, but this is definately the thing that would make me want to. I can't wait to see how this came about... Is the 'gaps' natural or man-made?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The "gaps" are natural. There really is nothing special about "Worthless Wood II" that makes this effect. It is just a different, more efficient way of doing it. This is a piece of Escarpment Live Oak that was very green that I intentionally dried very fast in a hot toaster oven. That caused the grain to open up like it did. I then cast it with new technique that makes the voids fill better. If it was done with the traditional WW technique, there would have been less resin penetration and more voids left unfilled.

broitblat

OK,

I have really enjoyed the results of the worthless wood creations in the past, but the figure and color in this version is nothing short of spectacular.

Is there something unique to Escarpment Oak that allows the grain to open up like that, or would other woods do the same under similar drying conditions?

Thanks for sharing.

-Barry

I definately recognize the oak grain. I have turned several pens in live oak that show a beautiful grain , the downfall is that there is very little pop in the color of the pen. This definately pops!! Please let us know how you did it.

PenPal

Curtis

Exciting concept very well made and turned. I often wonder how you have time to accomplish all you do, certainly among the most creative pen makers I know. The colours live and make a statement every time.

Thanks for showing. Peter.

Skye

OOOOH OOOOOH! I've got some oak just like that, but the grain didn't split open like yours. Now I'm wishing it did! I just recently cut up a piece of oak and made a bowl from the crotch. It's got the same swirly patterns. I'll try to get a pic of it, you should be able to appreciate it.

woody350ep

Those are pretty sweet. Curious though, are you using CA finish because of the wood grains that end up exposed? I imagine that is why because I didn't figure you would on the resin, but just making sure.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Mother Nature did all of the splitting. All I did was help here along in a hot toaster oven. I did not do anything else to make it split. Live Oak is quite unstable anyway so the extra heat (200 degrees for a few days) did all of the work.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Jason, I put a CA finish on all of my pens, Worthless Wood especially. The resin does not penetrate the wood itself enough to get good protection. I also do a CA on my cactus to make sure it is all sealed. The other factor is that Alumilite does not polish up quite a glossy as I can get with CA and I prefer a high gloss finish.

StatProf

Gig 'em

No Texas A&M Edition???? Where's the love?

Let me help out.

For the A&M pen you start with a really beautiful blank. Turn it down to where it is almost perfect. Then you step away from the lathe and invite a friend to come and finish the piece for you. But instead of finishing the piece he takes a ball peen hammer and smashes the mess out of it. Then all of your friends make fun of you because you used to have a good pen, but now your pen can't even beat the Baptist school in Waco.

And then you cry!

StatProf - Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2000

Top Bottom