Pair of Custom Cartridge Roller Balls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

A client from Australia asked for these, and coincidentally I had just completed one for myself. I was impressed with the smoothness using Private Reserve Velvet Black cartridges. In fact, ink flow is so juicy, the usual gray-black of this ink looked almost as dark as my fave--Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

These pens allow quite a short section and cap (yes, the cap posts). I make the barrels long enough to take an International long cartridge like the Private Reserve Maxi, or alternatively two short cartridges for those who want to know when they're halfway through their ink supply.

The cartridge roller ball nibs (I shouldn't call them nibs, should I?) are made by Schmidt and sold by Mike and Linda at Indy-Pen-Dance. I got the AA-37 Green and Black acrylic blanks from Ed and Dawn at Exotic Blanks.

Overall length is 5"--this is all I know. I sent them off hurriedly and neglected to take measurements.

Comments and questions welcome. Thanks!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0754 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0754 (Small).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0755 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0755 (Small).JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0756 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0756 (Small).JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_0759 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0759 (Small).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 614
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jjartwood

Robert,
Every time I see your work I find something else to work for. The work shows a kind of
calm flow to it and a confidence in style.
Beautiful!

jttheclockman

Not an easy thing to do, to make exact replicas of the same pen but it looks like you did quite well. I am sure they will be well received. Thanks for showing.

Curly

Sweet pens! One nice thing about using the Schmidt roller balls is that the Schmidt 5mm nib is the same thread. Let's you switch from one to the other, well when the cartridge is empty anyway. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner because I can't reach my desktop!

wizard

Robert, Gorgeous pair of pens!!! Darn..you keep inspiring me to push further..custom fountain pens to custom rollerballs....I like the ability to use the maxi cartridge or two of the regular cartridges that you built into the pen.
I'm sure your client will love them. Excellent! Regards, Doc:)

Robert111

Those are great looking pens.

I really like those! Great job on the subdued look of the "nib".

Robert,
Every time I see your work I find something else to work for. The work shows a kind of
calm flow to it and a confidence in style.
Beautiful!

That is just crazy unique! Impressive!!!

Not an easy thing to do, to make exact replicas of the same pen but it looks like you did quite well. I am sure they will be well received. Thanks for showing.

Sweet pens! One nice thing about using the Schmidt roller balls is that the Schmidt 5mm nib is the same thread. Let's you switch from one to the other, well when the cartridge is empty anyway. ;)

Very nice, very clean looking. I like 'em.

Mike

Very nice Robert - I also love the Schmidt roller ball and Private Reserve inks, they write so smooth.

Robert, Gorgeous pair of pens!!! Darn..you keep inspiring me to push further..custom fountain pens to custom rollerballs....I like the ability to use the maxi cartridge or two of the regular cartridges that you built into the pen.
I'm sure your client will love them. Excellent! Regards, Doc:)

Thanks, everyone! Appreciate that support very much.

I want to mention that these rollerball units can be replaced should the need arise by simply unscrewing from the section and screwing in the new one. Cost=$2.75 from Mike at Indy. (Cartridge Rollerball System - Indy~Pen~Dance)

I should add that I've just cleaned mine out with a bulb syringe when switching inks. Works great.

turbowagon

Robert,

Love these pens!

Question about the nib --- I tried one once, and noticed there is an "adjustment" of sorts -- the tip rotates exposing a breather hole or something.... anyway, I messed with it and got ink all over my hands, and haven't tried one since. Any tips on what this adjustment is for?

Robert111

Robert,

Love these pens!

Question about the nib --- I tried one once, and noticed there is an "adjustment" of sorts -- the tip rotates exposing a breather hole or something.... anyway, I messed with it and got ink all over my hands, and haven't tried one since. Any tips on what this adjustment is for?

Joe, I did notice it when I flushed the cone with the bulb syringe. Water shot out to the side and surprised me. I don't know what I was expecting the injected water to do, but evidently this hole is good for at least one thing--flushing out ink. In messing around with it, the cone came apart. I chucked it and installed a new one. Still don't know what that hole might be for. They work well though just as they come--no adjustment necessary, at least on those I've used.

Last edited:

Curly

And here I thought it was so you could use a converter and suck ink from a bottle instead of using cartridges.

Curly

I just stuck it in the bottle and sucked up the ink, wiped it with tissue and used it. I store the pen with the tip up so it doesn't leak out. I didn't realize there was an open/closed position. I thought I broke them when they spun. :rolleyes: I figure it is a breather hole to let air in to replace the ink. Next time I go for a fill I will leave a little bit untwisted and after wiping, turn the pen up and draw some more air into the converter to see if that will clear the breather and break the siphon.

Maybe Mike could get ahold of Schmidt and get the answer from them as to the right way to use the thing since they don't come with instructions. :wink: I just looked at the Schmidt site and they don't mention converters with the rollerball so maybe they were never intended for them.

Top Bottom