A pair of Churchills-Thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ograywolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

ograywolf

These are my first two of this pen style. I love the style, but struggled a bit trying to pick a suitable wood. In the Churchill tradition, it seemed to me that it should be staid...dark...conservative...but elegant. The first pen is made from "Black Redwood" (that's what the ebay supplier called it.) What do you think? Any suggestions for something better?

The second wood is called Pernambuco. It is a very very rare wood that is treasured by the violin bow makers. While it isn't a real showy wood, I'm thinking about using it for the Emperor pen...mostly because it is so rare and should add value that way. Again...thoughts?

One other thing I did. I usually like to do the El Grande flat-bushing to bushing. These pens, I put a lttle belly in them...I guess because that's what I think the great man would have liked...comments on that?

Thanks,

Dave

2005111305420_Churchill-Black%20Redwood.jpg

2005111305448_Churchill-Pernambuco.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

simply superb my good man.
you get me right whee it counts with that subtle little curve. You would never be able to tell by looking at my pens though.
My favorite is the Black Redwood.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Very nice, David. I agree with your idea about the more conservative woods for this kit. I am working on one with a very plain piece of walnut. Count me with Daniel, I really like the black redwood, although it does sound like an oxymoron. [8D]

wayneis

Dave I like them both, I'm already a fan of this pen and the El Grande's before it. I don't know who told you that Pernambuco is a rare wood but I don't think that it nessessarely true. I've seen quite a bit of it for sale and have several blanks setting around myself. Now that piece that you have there is very nice as it looks like its got some nice curl in it.

Wayne

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Pernambuco wood is used as a catch-all name for a bunch of different species of South American, red/orange colored wood. True pernambuco is a rare tree, but the false-pernambucos are numerous and difficult to distinguish. FYI, Pernambuco wood for violin bows is not the rare pernambuco. For a lot better (and more detailed) explanation, check out http://www.arcosbrasil.com/PernambuccoWood/pernambuccowood4.html

ograywolf

That's really interesting info about the Pernambuco (Caesalpinia echinata...or pau-brasil) wood. The April, 2004 issue of the Smithsonian had it's cover story devoted to the wood, to how critical it is to violin bow makers, and how rare it is becoming. The bow makers (my friend and source of this wood, past-president of their international association) have a $1,000,000 per year five-year program going with the Brazilian goverment to save the species. The cutoffs Paul has given me are too curly for use in bows (lucky me). Maybe I should just store them and wait until the wood is extinct...of course then all commerce in it would be banned...which is what the bow makers really fear. Anyway, good to know that there is the perception that it isn't very rare yet. I gave Paul a pen made from it and he was very touched. Maybe I'll see if I can sell a bunch to bow makers! Of course, if you can make a $3,500 bow...you can probably make a pen. By the way...they also use the CA technique. Small world, eh?

Glad to hear you all seem to like the Black Redwood. The photo made it look a lot more red than it actually is though. It has a more chocolate look.

I'm going to make my next one out of Brazilian Walnut. Likely post that tomorrow.

PS. I just held (very carefully) a French bow from the 1800's, back in Paul's shop for restoration, that's worth $125,000! Ever wonder if you are in the wrong business?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom