A pair of bolts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bill78

Bill78

Hi. Made my eldest a pen and toolbox pencil from a couple of stainless steel bolts back last December. The bolt head of the pen turns to operate the mechanism and the bolt head of the pencil pushes down over the bolt body to open the pencil clutch jaws. He is an engineer - hence the bolts!

Attachments

• DSCF3837.jpg
    DSCF3837.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 476
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill78

Many thanks for the "cool" comments - much appreciated! My son confirms that he also considers them to be cool, and he uses them which really makes me happy! I don't think that there is a much sadder thing than spending time to make pens that then sit in drawers.

I have attached four more images (thanks for asking Curly!) - two of which show detail of how they were made up. The pencil is a standard toolbox / artists pencil mechanism. The sharpener is fitted into an extension from the bolt head so that it can be screwed onto the mechanism and then pushed down to operate the pencil jaws. The pen is based on a Berea Atrax mechanism and tubes with the lower tube glued into the bolt. I'm using the same principle to make two differently themed items for my youngest (who is also an engineer and got me started on pen making). I'll post pictures once these are finished.

Thanks again - and hope we all continue to enjoy this fantastic hobby / craft for a LONG time.

Attachments

• DSCF3815.jpg
    DSCF3815.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCF3833.jpg
    DSCF3833.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF3832.jpg
    DSCF3832.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF3821.jpg
    DSCF3821.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

jttheclockman

Bill very innovative. Taking this idea to the next level has to be very satisfying and rewarding. Great job and thanks for showing. We look forward to seeing your next project.

Bill78

Great job. How 'bout a pictorial step by step. I think enough of the group would be interested, I know I,d like drawings or pics for my "one of these days " project notebook.

Ben
Thanks for asking Ben. I am a newby contributor to the site - only been in and out looking and being amazed and inspired by other people's work up to now. I do enjoy making kit pens for friends and family (and have even sold a few!) - but wanted to try to be more creative. I will spend more time finding out how to put together some notes and posting them in the right part of the site.

More4dan

Bill hope you believe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I just made a bolt pen like yours but made the mistake of using a graded bolt by mistake. Drilling took over an hour and resharpening bits also the way. Works with a slimline kit and 3/8" x 5" fine thread bolt for those of us in the Colonies.

I made one for my Dad who won't use the "too nice" ones I've made in the past. He also complained that last pen was too polished and he had a hard time gripping the pen. Your design takes care of both issues. I'm playing with using a cotter pin as a clip if I can figure a way to attach it.

A hex socket head bolt would also be cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I see Skip our resident bolt pen maker has had some influence here. He has done various designs.

What I would like to see you guys take it to the next level and add a stand so you can post in our new forum. How about a socket or the whole socket wrench.

More4dan

Instead of fighting another hardened bolt on the lathe I just made a bolt from aluminum round and hex bar. Thanks again.

Danny

Bill78

Instead of fighting another hardened bolt on the lathe I just made a bolt from aluminum round and hex bar. Thanks again.

Danny
Thanks Danny. I am glad that you liked the post. As jttheclockman indicates, the idea for making a pen from a bolt originates with SkipRat - I just added the twist of using a pen mechanism and also making a matching pencil. As for using real measurements rather than metric - it's getting harder over here to find to find them now! Glad your Dad enjoyed his pen - my son does too (for very similar reasons).

Now a stand???? Mmmmm. A socket / wrench - even more Mmmmmmmmm!!

More4dan

I'm thinking how can I adapt for a fountain pen? Maybe a coupler for the cap?

Here is the aluminum one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Top Bottom