Pair of Barons made from Big Cat Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from randyrls

randyrls

I completed these two pens recently from one blank. If you try this it takes some fancy cutting with a band saw and accurate blank drilling to do.

2008319124333_PEN_340_web.jpg

200831912453_PEN_341_web.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ed Brown (Ed4copies) imports many specialty resins which he sells to a large number of us. Among them are the Big Cats - leopard, cheetah, ocelot and snow leopard. Ed also has a "cat chow" blank called zebra! If you would like to see the many resins he has available, send him an email through the forum and request his Cat-a-logue. There are some amazing blanks available that no one else carries.

randyrls

Originally posted by igran7

Very nice work. How big was the blank to start with?

The blanks are *NOT* square. They are 3/4" thick, 1-3/8" wide, and 4-1/2" long. The cutting and drilling has to be exact!

I had to make cap pieces wider than the nib ends to have enough thickness on the cap pieces. I cut them with a band saw, not just a normal slice, looked like this.
-----------------------
| |
C -|_______N_____|
________|_| |
N | C |
-----------------------

I got the blanks from Ed4Copies. I believe he posts here.

randyrls

Originally posted by randyrls

Originally posted by igran7

Very nice work. How big was the blank to start with?

Darn; That ASCII art didn't work :(

Anyway, the blank is *JUST* large enough to make two barons if you use a narrow kerf band saw, and cut the blank carefully. Cut 3/4" The cap tube on one pen will be next to the nib tube on the other pen.

Alas, my writing skills aren't any better than my art skills, so I took a quicky picture:

This is just with my cell camera and not lighted but should show how to cut the blanks.

200832013303_p_00038.jpg

karlkuehn

Banned
I had to make cap pieces wider than the nib ends to have enough thickness on the cap pieces. I cut them with a band saw, not just a normal slice, looked like this.
-----------------------
| |
C -|_______N_____|
________|_| |
N | C |
-----------------------

?! - Were you using Cav's diagram for this particular cutting? hehe :D[}:)][:p]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well,

I thought it had to be pretty accurate, too. Then Lou told me he "ran a bandsaw down the middle, then drilled the blanks on my lathe - go two barons!"

Continuing, Lou mentioned he would have been more careful if I had told him it was difficult.

Since then, I use the "Lou method" very successfully for barons. Jr. Gents version 2 can also be made with this procedure (BUT IT IS CLOSE!!).

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by karlkuehn

-----------------------
| |
C -|_______N_____|
________|_| |
N | C |
-----------------------

?! - Were you using Cav's diagram for this particular cutting? hehe :D[}:)][:p]

Diagram?!?!? We don't need no steenkin' diagrams!!!!

Top Bottom