Pair of Barons Dressed in Bubinga (Pommele)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ve3bax

ve3bax

Good Morning Folks,

This is the first pair of pens I felt were worthy of sharing here. They are a pair of Barons in pommele Bubinga with a BLO/CA finish. The box is Indian Rosewood with a Varathane semi-gloss polyurethane finish. The set was given to my Grandfather for his 77th Birthday last week.

These two pens were quite a challenge. The figure of the wood makes it prone to tear out, and this stuff is HARD so its also a brute on tool edges... I decided to finish these up with my handy "60 grit gouge" as I was concerned about tear-out as I got close to the final diameter. The finish was the other challenge with these... they both got a half dozen or so attempts before I was happy with it... I tried CA several times, however I could not get an even glossy finish. I then tried lacquer and got a respectable, however at best, semi-gloss finish. At the last minute I decided I wasn't happy with the look of the lacquer, put them back on the lathe and gave the CA another shot... both came out near perfect and I'm very happy I decided to roll the dice and give it one last shot... of course, all the extra sanding from the multiple attempts at a decent finish distorted the shape every so slightly but its not glaringly obvious so I'm more or less ok with with it ;)

I do apologize for the lack of crispness in the photos. I quite literally took these 5 minutes before running out the door to deliver the pens to their new owner, and only proofed them on the camera...

Comments and Criticism is, of course, welcome!

--Dave

Attachments

• Bubinga(Baron).jpg
    Bubinga(Baron).jpg
    181 KB · Views: 481
  • Bubinga(Baron) (1).jpg
    Bubinga(Baron) (1).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 369
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

Very classy looking. One thing I learned on here people are very considerate, and I see minimual discouraging comments. I have put a couple on here that I did not feel confident in and people geniunly seem to like them. Please add more of your pens.

ToddMR

Nice pen box, nice pens! Yeah Bubinga is some hard stuff imo. I think you did great, and being determined pays off sometimes as it did here.

Old Lar

Very nice job on the pens. It is great when you get a couple ready for sale. I really like the box as well. A very nice set.

ve3bax

Thanks everyone! these were indeed well received, however I suspect if Grandad wants to to maintain ownership of them he is going to have to hide them from Grandma! she not so subtly hinted that she wants a pair too. ("*I* WRITE EVERY DAY!!!!")

--Dave

Top Bottom