Pair of .270's and GREAT assembly tip!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from juteck

juteck

A recent pair of .270's topped with Saskatchewan mule deer antler. Nothing spectactular, but I wanted to share an assembly tip that made these so much easier than ones I've made in the past.

In the past, I've ruined transmissions when pressing, because the brass tube could not expand into the solid brass rim area of the casing. Before making these pens, I came across this tutorial:

http://www.stickermetimbers.com/Tutorials/Bullet%20Casing%20Pen%20Tutorial.pdf

The author describes use of a home-made swaging tool to overcome this problem. I used an "F" drill bit installed backwards in my drill chuck in the tailstock as my swaging tool. With the bare 7mm brass tube installed in my collet chuck, a little 3-in-1 oil on the shaft end of the drill bit, it worked perfectly to expand the end of the brass tube to allow the transmission to slip in easily.

After swaging, I use JB Weld to glue my projectile and 7mm brass tube in place. The transmission slipped in past the solid rim, and pressed in easily after that first try - no damage.

270Antler_zps9027b5b8.jpg

As always, comments/critiques are welcome!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Nice pens and thanks for the tutorial address. I will check that out more thoroughly. The problem I have ran into lately is the brass tube does not fit snugly enough on the top of the transmission and slips when turned to the lock position. By lock position, I mean the position where you feel the little bump when extending the ink cartridge, so it stays extended when writing. I've "fixed" it by roughing up a spot on the transmission and putting a little dab of JB Weld there. Not a good fix though.

rd_ab_penman

Nice pens and thanks for the tutorial address. I will check that out more thoroughly. The problem I have ran into lately is the brass tube does not fit snugly enough on the top of the transmission and slips when turned to the lock position. By lock position, I mean the position where you feel the little bump when extending the ink cartridge, so it stays extended when writing. I've "fixed" it by roughing up a spot on the transmission and putting a little dab of JB Weld there. Not a good fix though.

All you need to do is "Dimple" the brass tube with the pointed end of a small sized transfer punch to get the over-sized tube to fit snug over the transmission.

Les

Top Bottom