painted/inlayed fair entry pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jssmith3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jssmith3

This is a pen I submitted to the state fair today. Its made out of Holly, the kit is a Oxford from Woodcraft (don't like this kit at all!!!) I inlayed red coral in the tops of both the lower and upper barrels and painted red rose buds on it. Someone on the forum had asked me why I didn't start my vines from the bottom going up so I gave it a try and I think I like it! Wish me luck :)

Janet :)

20079225518_P1001085.jpg

20079225536_P1001084.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow! With a beautiful combination of materials/skills like that, I really don't think you need luck.... But good luck anyway. Great pen!

Now thats a beautiful pen, Janet! I like the flowers starting at the bottom, too.
I agree on the kit. I have made 4 of them and on all 4 the gold started to wear off after about 6 months of everyday use.

jeffj13

As usual, your work is stunning. If that doesn't win, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Although, just a blue ribbon doesn't seem fitting. We need a higher award.

jeff

GaryMGg

The only thing I can add is it's too bad you have to have a kit to go with your work.
Any kit is a distraction from the craftsmanship you've shown us. [;)]

jssmith3

Well, just an update, the pen took the first place ribbon. I feel a little let down though cause they wouldn't let me enter in any category but professional and mine was the only pen in that category. I tried to get them to put me in maybe the advanced category but they wouldn't even consider it so I could have turned in a blahhhh pen and it still would have won :( Oh, well, maybe next year and I am just going to have to keep teaching penturning at the local Woodcraft and create my own competition along with the pens. One of the students I have been working with who is now my business partner took first in the intermediate category and best of show and that was real exciting especially when he saw it [:)]

Have a great day everyone,
Janet :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Congratulations! Janet.

Encourage some of the other exhibitors to do art and craft shows, then they become "Professional" also!![:)][:)][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom