To Paint or Not To Paint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

I haven't posted in awhile, but I thought I'd share a recent experiment. I purchased some Hot Pink Pearl Aquapearl blanks and some Jr. Majestic rollerball kits from Exotic Blanks. I painted the tubes with different colors to get different effects.

The photos show the initial blank, and the results of painting the tubes two different colors. The first shows painting the tubes with a flat black enamel and the second shows the tubes painted with a high gloss Hot Berry Pink enamel. The blanks were translucent enough to give two very different effects. Different colors (enamel, acrylic, nail polish with sparkles) would yield interesting results.

Bottom line, experiment and see what you get! Thanks to Ed/Dawn for great customer service!

C & C welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• pink pearl.jpg
    pink pearl.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 156
  • lavender.jpg
    lavender.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 250
  • pink.jpg
    pink.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

You can flip a coin...but I favor the paint emphasizing the original color and tone of the blank - doesn't make me right though.

Curly

I've mentioned it before but your pens emphasize how much a paint affects a blank. If you polish the end of a blank and slice off a thin piece you can put it on different colours to see how the pen will look. Coloured paper, caps from paint cans, the side of a nail polish bottle or the paint you have painted on something will show the influence they will have on the finished pen.

You pens look good and nice to see you back.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Alot like custom painting a hotrod. Base coat will change the depth and color. I typically paint everything bright white or try and match the blank as close as i can with same color paint.

elkhorn

Charlie, thank you.

John T, I appreciate it.

Jim, thanks for the compliment.

John, I've tried silver, sparkle nail polish and complimentary colors. The range of effects is never ending.

Tony, true, and you can deepen or lighten the original color by your choice of paint on the tubes or reverse painting the blank.

Keith, much appreciated. You can go crazy trying different paints!

Curly, good idea on how to try the different colors. I'll give it a try next time.

Ernie, you're correct. The base coat will change the depth and color.

Top Bottom